Esteemed Contributor

Re: REMEMBER THE BUTTER BOAT?

I've got the Trudeau A09607081A - think that's the number - it's Amazon's choice. Got it on AmazonSmile (so they donate to my charity) - think it's 22. Works well for me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Havarti

Thank you for mentioning "Chefs Catalog" as I have been wondering why I had not received a catalog in a while.  I always bought from them as they had great items at great prices.  I sure do miss them.  That is where I bought my butter boat and a lot of other items.Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

All this talk about the Butter Boat got me thinking,  "Hey... Wait a minute, I bought one of those!"  I found it up in a cupboard out in the garage, still in the original box & having never been used or taken out of the box.  I bought it from QVC in Jan. 2005 & moved to a different state in 2006 & I couldn't even remember what it looked like!  I opened the box & it's white with a pretty blue & yellow pattern on it.  Maybe, I'll wash it & use it to see how i like it.

Honored Contributor

better keep looking out there might find something else LOL

Respected Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

All this talk about the Butter Boat got me thinking,  "Hey... Wait a minute, I bought one of those!"  I found it up in a cupboard out in the garage, still in the original box & having never been used or taken out of the box.  I bought it from QVC in Jan. 2005 & moved to a different state in 2006 & I couldn't even remember what it looked like!  I opened the box & it's white with a pretty blue & yellow pattern on it.  Maybe, I'll wash it & use it to see how i like it.

LOL, sounds like something I would do.    I love them personally.   I usually put fresh cold water in it morning and night.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

@luvsbulldogs

Did you know that Target owned Chef’s Catalog?  I didn’t know that until the end when they were closing it down.  I stocked up on a number of items on their close-out sale.  Chef’s Catalog was a great source of good quality kitchen items at reasonable prices.  Lots of my everyday items – the kind you use so often that you take them for granted – are from Chef’s catalog.  I do miss that good source for buying kitchen goodies of the non-edible type.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Frequent Contributor

I have a real pretty one that I got at Walmart, rea.drumond pioneer woman .also got the salt and pepper shaker by her .Taggart has some nice ones to .

Respected Contributor

@Havarti

I did not know that Target owned Chefs Catalog.  I bought a lot from them also and one of my favorites is the potato, onions and garlic crock pots.  They are sitting on my counter.  years back I accidentally broke the garlic one and since you could roder them individually I was able to get a replacement.  Now I have to be extremely careful not to break any of them.  Thanks for the heads up.  I also have a meatloaf pan from them and it is the only one that actually workss as far as the grease goes and did not rust. 

Trusted Contributor

OK....Here comes the negative nellies.....I put my butter, Cabot of Vermont, 3 sticks at a time, in a Sistema container, turned upside down,meaning the butter is on the lid,  so I always have soft butter, without it ever spoiling, and keep it at room temp for weeks at a time...I am not dead yet by doing this, and I do live in the HOT....HOT....South.....I have done this for years.....Woman Happy

When I was growing up, butter always set out, and it was homemade butter..There are preseratives in butter today, and I also keep a box of cream cheese out, in the box it comes in, out, so I always have cream cheese at room temp, and have never had one spoil.....People get too tied up with standards today, and forget what our family of past did, and none of my family died for this practice....Woman LOL

Yeah, I am not one of those who pays attention to expiration dates either.....as they are just there as the FDA makes companies put them there....

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

@forrestwolf wrote:

OK....Here comes the negative nellies.....I put my butter, Cabot of Vermont, 3 sticks at a time, in a Sistema container, turned upside down,meaning the butter is on the lid,  so I always have soft butter, without it ever spoiling, and keep it at room temp for weeks at a time...I am not dead yet by doing this, and I do live in the HOT....HOT....South.....I have done this for years.....Woman Happy

When I was growing up, butter always set out, and it was homemade butter..There are preseratives in butter today, and I also keep a box of cream cheese out, in the box it comes in, out, so I always have cream cheese at room temp, and have never had one spoil.....People get too tied up with standards today, and forget what our family of past did, and none of my family died for this practice....Woman LOL

Yeah, I am not one of those who pays attention to expiration dates either.....as they are just there as the FDA makes companies put them there....

I'm not real hung up on FDA rules myself.

So does the butter stay solid?  That's what I'm going for with the BBs.   And that they look nice on the table.   I have 2 if I'm having company.  Cream cheese would be a good idea.   Unless I'm baking I buy the soft stuff.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*