Regular Contributor

Read this hint once on how to thaw frozen food (meat, chops, fish, chicken, etc.) super quickly without the use of the microwave (which often will start to cook the food in spots). Just put the food in a cast iron skillet and the cast iron will draw out the cold from the food and will defrost it quite rapidly.  I will sometimes turn the item after an hour or so to help the other side thaw.  This method can defrost a fairly thick steak in just a few hours.A much safer way to defrost food if you need it quickly and cannot let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. This really works!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Quick thawing frozen food

Reading your post jogged some vague recollection in my brain of a mat or stone or SOMETHING the Q sold very very long ago, I remember buying one, that you'd sit your frozen food on that would cause it to thaw far more quickly than moving it from freezer to refrigerator. Maybe after a second cup of coffee the memory of exactly what it was will become clearer in my head.

Trusted Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

Reading your post jogged some vague recollection in my brain of a mat or stone or SOMETHING the Q sold very very long ago, I remember buying one, that you'd sit your frozen food on that would cause it to thaw far more quickly than moving it from freezer to refrigerator. Maybe after a second cup of coffee the memory of exactly what it was will become clearer in my head.

It’s called a defrosting tray. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@K9buddy wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

It’s called a defrosting tray. 

@K9buddy 

Ah thank you K9buddy. Just for heck of it after reading your post I googled 'defrosting tray' and was totally surprised how many of different designs are still on the market for sale. I saw photos of several that look exactly like how I remember mine from the Q. It was seeing the photos that brought it back. Black w/horizontal lines. That was sooooo long ago I had completely forgotten they ever existed.

Esteemed Contributor

Thaw Express............I've had mine for decades and still use it.  Never thaw anything in microwave cuz - as you said - it starts cooking the meat while your back is turned.  Thaw Express = wonderful item.

Honored Contributor

I usually thaw in the refrigerator.   Before going to bed at 1:00 a.m., I pulled a 6-7 lb pork loin out of the freezer, left it to thaw in the sink, and had it in the oven by 8:00 this morning.   I also thaw frozen steaks and chicken by sealing the package in a gallon size ziplock bag and placing it in a large bowl of cold water.   I thaw frozen turkey breasts in a bowl of cold water as well.   

Respected Contributor

anything metal will defrost, a cookie sheet turned upside down I will sometimes use microwave defrost for less than a minute to give it a head start. Even when I defrost the night before sometimes the center is still frozen then have to use the other way.

Honored Contributor

I thaw steak in a large bowl of cold water.  That keeps the center cold incase (which happens often) DH desides high flame to create browning is more important than anything!

WHY are all men crazy over crust?  Meat, cornbread, whatever.  Overdo the meat, but, above all, HAVE CRUST (or grill marks).

Respected Contributor

We had purchased one of the metal defrosting pans many years ago to see if it really worked. We took out 2 frozen steaks and placed one on the defroster and one on a paper towel on the counter like we always do when defrosting. Both were still wrapped in plastic wrap.  Waste of money. There was no difference in defrosting time.  Just another gimmic to separate you from your money.  We returned it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Rockycoast wrote:

We had purchased one of the metal defrosting pans many years ago to see if it really worked. We took out 2 frozen steaks and placed one on the defroster and one on a paper towel on the counter like we always do when defrosting. Both were still wrapped in plastic wrap.  Waste of money. There was no difference in defrosting time.  Just another gimmic to separate you from your money.  We returned it.

We often defrost the individually wrapped chicken breasts (Foster Farm) in a bowl of cold water. If we defrost something else, we do put it in a Ziplock bag and do the same.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland