Esteemed Contributor

Re: Questions about Aunt Bertie's Potatoes

OMG. Aunt Bertie......what a hoot!

And what saged wisdom.

Contributor

If you use the 9 x 13 pan, how much cream do you use? Thanks!

Regular Contributor

Papillon Mom: regardless of what size pan you use, the heavy cream must be poured to only about 1 inch from the top of the potatoes. I found that about 3/4" worked fine too.

I've made 2 batches of the potatoes since nunya answered my questions a few days ago. For just DH and myself, I used an old corning ware dish that probably is about a 1 qt. size and is one of those old fashioned deeper ones. It only takes about 1 1/2 large potatoes, The dish was only about 2/3 to 4/5 full before baking.

In the past I never salted and peppered the layers, but I do now. it made a big difference. This time I put some pieces of sharp cheddar on each layer and baked for 2 hours. About 5 minutes before being done, I put more slices of the cheddar on the top. We love it that way. And we almost come to fighting over the crispy edges the cheese creates! I can't get over though that it takes about a good 2 hours to cook the potatoes though. It seems to work better if the potatoes are sliced very very thin.

I personally don't know why you couldn't use a 9 x 13 pan just as effectively as a smaller one. They probably wouldn't have to bake as long. Just follow her instructions exactly. If you do this, please get back to us and let us know how they turned out. AnneMary