Respected Contributor

Re: Question for those who have a convection oven

I have a KitchenAid double convection wall oven. It can be used as either a regular or convection oven. I use it quite a bit because I make a lot of yeast breads and they do rise higher in a convection oven. Other things like roasts also cook faster in a convection oven. They are quite pricey so I would think you would have to use the feature a lot to make it worth the extra money.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a counter top convection Breville oven and love it! It is great for baking and roasting turkeys.  It saves on the cooking time and the food doesn't seem to dry out (IMO)I never wanted convection cooking before I got this one and now I understand why people love it.  For my needs, it is worth it.

Respected Contributor

@soonersis wrote:

My oven (build-in wall style) is not working properly and I'm thinking about getting a new one (it's over 20 years old) rather than try to have it fixed.  Many of the new ones have the convection feature which I've never had so want to know from those who have it what you use it for, how it's different from just a regular oven, and is it worth the additional expense.  Thanks. 

Yes, I have had one for years. First as a convection/ microwave, then convection ovens in my last 5 homes.   I only cook using that feature.  Things cook faster and better.

Respected Contributor

@soonersis wrote:

My oven (build-in wall style) is not working properly and I'm thinking about getting a new one (it's over 20 years old) rather than try to have it fixed.  Many of the new ones have the convection feature which I've never had so want to know from those who have it what you use it for, how it's different from just a regular oven, and is it worth the additional expense.  Thanks. 

I have a convection/conventional oven and love it.  As others have mentioned here it can be used for just about everything.  It cooks more evenly and faster.  I use mine just about every day.  I like having the option on my oven.  I have a combination stove.  It has gas burners, which I love and an electric oven.  It is 11 years old and still going strong.  I have a GE.  Good luck with your choice!