Honored Contributor

Question about pressure cooking

I use my pressure cooker a lot, and I usually follow the recipes. Lately though I've been changing a little. My family prefers chicken breasts. When a recipe calls for boneless chicken legs with thighs attached , I subsitute one (small) boneless chicken breast. Sometimes the recipe comes out a little dry, and it always takes a little longer. So my question is this:

Should I double the liquid content when I use boneless breasts if the recipe calls for boneless legs with thighs attached? Or should I increase the liquid by 1/2, or just leave it alone? TIA! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question about pressure cooking

Chicken, breasts with bone 

Yes

1/2 cup

6 minutes

Natural

Chicken, breasts boneless

Yes

1/2 cup

5 minutes

Natural

Chicken, legs, drumsticks or

thighs with bone

Yes

1/2 cup

7 minutes

quick or cold water

Chicken, legs, drumsticks or

thighs boneless

Yes

1/2 cup

6 minutes

quick or cold water

According to this chart from Miss Vickie's PC time chart, I would reduce the cooking time by a minute or two, depending on the other ingredients.  Hope this helps.

Respected Contributor

Re: Question about pressure cooking

You are substituting boneless white meat for a dark meat. I've never seen boneless dark with leg (do you mean bone-in?) In either case, the white meat is going to be drier, either because it's white meat or because the bone adds moisture as well as fat to the final result. 

If it is bone-in, yes, it will take longer. The bone conducts heat inside the chicken leg and takes less time to cook. Dark meat also cooks faster--more fat. 

You might find a different recipe that actually calls for boneless chicken breast, hoping that the recipe will turn out right, because it's developed for white meat.