Honored Contributor

Today I purchased a jar of Nathan's refrigerated dill pickles . The were in the refrige case at the store and kept cold till I got them home.

I opened the jar and no 'pop' sound!

I'm wondering if these kind of pickles which are supposed to be refrigerated at all times, are processed differently and aren't pressure sealed with a vacuum like those on the shelf.

Anyone have any experience with this. 

Holding off eating them till I can reach the company tomorrow, but I did find one other brand online that said theirs are not vacuum sealed. 

Don't want to get sick, but want one of those pickles.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about pickles

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio  When the pickles are in the refrigerator section of the store that's because they are "cold packed" rather than canned.  The brands that make cold packed do put a band seal around the lid to prevent tampering.  They must remain refrigerated.  I think you're safe to eat them.

Valued Contributor

The Nathan's refrigerated pickles we buy have a white ribbed plastic lid and plastic jar.  So ours don't pop when we open them. We love the ones with horseradish!  I hope yours are ok. 

Honored Contributor

THanks @JeanLouiseFinch and @Ruby Laine

These are in a glass jar with the metal lid. None on the shelf had any kind of 'safety seal' like a band around the jar.

I'm planning on calling the company in the morning. 

I guess I've only bought pickles from the grocery store shelf and not the refrigerated section, and when I get some kind of final answer I'll post back here. Now after reading that other companies have refrigerated pickles without being vacuumed, I'm pretty sure they would be ok, but no other type of band or seal....I'm not sure if that is normal for this packaging and brand.

This is certainly a new area for me!

Valued Contributor

I bet @JeanLouiseFinch is right about the refrigerated ones. I'm sure they'll be fine!

Respected Contributor

Do they smell ok?

Honored Contributor

I think the refrigerated pickles I buy are silent upon opening.  I can't imagine yours aren't good to eat.

Honored Contributor

I would have opened that jar and dived right in without giving the pop a second thought.  I'd say an abundance of caution is being exercised here.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I would have opened that jar and dived right in without giving the pop a second thought.  I'd say an abundance of caution is being exercised here.

You've obviously never had food poisoning. And there have been cases in the area of people dying from improperly canned/handled foods. 

I don't think exercising some caution when one isn't sure is a bad thing.

In light of reading about another brand that isn't vacuumed and doesn't pop, I'm going to call the company tomorrow. No knee jerk reactions, not throwing them away just yet, but will be certain about how they were supposed to be sealed seems prudent at this point.

Honored Contributor

Is the lid completely flat?

If it's a "pop" lid usually there are little circles on the lid.