Honored Contributor

Re: Question about homemade pumpkin pie.

No.  I cover, but don't usually refrigerate the pie.  

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

Forgot to mention, on the many evenings before Thanksgiving, if the temp is under 36, I line the inside of  plastic tubs with sealing tops with paper towels, and keep the pies on the cold deck.  It's great!

Super Contributor

I always make mine the day before as well.  

Honored Contributor

I don't think so, 

you could probably make it today and freeze it for Thursday

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't put aluminum foil over the baked pie until it's fully cooled. I did that once and I had so much moisture on top when I took it out of the refrig the next day. I've found that just laying a seet of wax paper or parchment paper on top worked better for me.  I agree with the others that pumpkin pie tastes better when it's made a day in advance.

Valued Contributor

@RespectLife 

Would it be just as good without a pie crust?

Super Contributor

I always make pumpkin pies a day in advance I think they taste better After they’ve sat overnight to get cool
Respected Contributor

@AlsaceGal 

I think the filling would be just as good w/o a crust, but I would try to "bake" it in the microwave ( in increments of time and power ).I would not know how long to bake in an oven and would have to experiment in the microwave,where I had more and immediate control. I think the consistency would be like a pudding as it would be in a pie with a crust.

IMHO and don't quote me Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife , that's interesting! The last pumpkin pie I attempted was probably 30-40 years ago. I had a dear couple over and so wanted everything to be perfect. I put the pie in the oven and, when I turned around to clean the counters, discovered the two eggs that should have been in the filling! Thankfully, that wasn't the only pie I made; I threw it all out and never tried again. No one in my family eats pumpkin pie so I never got the chance to make it again, the right way this time.

Valued Contributor

@Flatbush 

Thank you, I'll experiment with the microwave .