Honored Contributor

Re: Question about Spiral Hams

I put the water inside with the ham, to steam and keep the meat moist. I also just heat long enough to thoroughly warm the ham.

Honored Contributor

I did the wrapping, but not tightly as some are doing. Maybe, however, that's just because I make a glaze and put that on (I put most of it on initially, then take it out and put the rest on and open up the foil for the last bit).

So I just took the somewhat shallow baker I usually use for my hams (a large oval Le Creuset baker) and first put some large sheets of aluminum foil into the baker. Then I set the ham on top of the foil and wrap the foil over the top and close it up. While I did close it over the ham completely, I didn't figure I should wrap it tightly. I can see how this makes sense, however, if you're not putting a glaze on the ham. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Pressure cooker........no dry ham.......moist and warm.........just the way I like it...{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I just made a couple of ham sliders with dill pickles, and just wonderful.........Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Super Contributor

I have a large slow cooker, so I used that to cook the ham. I placed the ham flat side down and covered the ham with brown sugar, then I added pineapple juice and maple syrup. I covered the ham with foil. I periodically basted the ham. The ham turned out great.

Respected Contributor

Do you follow the instructions? Lower temp usually and I cover mine with foil..always juicy and delish!

I then put the glaze on about 30-min before it is done and take the foil off.

Honored Contributor

On 1/2/2015 RedTop said:

I put the water inside with the ham, to steam and keep the meat moist. I also just heat long enough to thoroughly warm the ham.

Thanks for clarifying Smile

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

On 1/2/2015 NoelSeven said:

The first time I fixed a spiral ham I didn't know I had to cook it flat side down. What a disaster! It was all dried out.

Could that be the problem?

I place the ham flat side down.

Respected Contributor

On 1/2/2015 CouponQueen said:

Do you follow the instructions? Lower temp usually and I cover mine with foil..always juicy and delish!

I then put the glaze on about 30-min before it is done and take the foil off.

Yes, I follow the instructions and usually the oven temperature is 275. The next time I am going to wrap it in foil and not cover it with foil. All the juices came out of the ham and were in the pan.......needless to say it was extremely dry. Also I may cut the heating time in half.

Honored Contributor

We love ham and I always have one for the holidays.

I cook mine in my large roaster (12 - 16 qt, I forget exactly, but bought it years ago from Kohls for about $39.00, not expensive).

I super line the roaster with tin foil. Long piece going length wise and a long piece going the width. I then put another piece down at the bottom. I put the ham cut-side down on the tin foil after basting it with (glaze of your choice). I then take all the sides of the tin foil an bring it up and gently curl it under to enclose the ham. I set the roaster at 350 and continue to baste it about every hour or so as it reheats. I cook it about 20-25 minutes to the pound and generally it takes about 5 hours to heat through.

What this does is keep the steam and juices around the ham and it does it so much better than the oven. With the ham in my roaster, I can cook au graten potatos or use the oven for other items. I've never had one dry out because I don't use the oven, and keep it foiled until ready to serve. The tin foil also keeps my roaster fairly clean as well so clean up is always better..... {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

The family is pretty sick of ham by the time the holidays are over, maybe they will be ready by Easter? LOL~!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Mistake, my roaster is an 18 q

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*