Respected Contributor

Question Regarding Coconut Flour & Coconut Oil

Does coconut flour taste like coconut and does coconut oil taste like coconut?  I've never used those two items and wondered how they taste..   Are they sweet tasting? King Arthur Flour has coconut flour on special for $24.85 (3  1# packages)

Thanks for any info you can provide, if you've used those two products...

Respected Contributor

Re: Question Regarding Coconut Flour & Coconut Oil

[ Edited ]

Aroma    = just like a coconut Mounds bar.

Taste      = no "sugary" taste, very bland -- very slight coconut taste.

Calories  = very high, especially the oil.  Keep the oil cool, or else it will be liquid at room temp.

I purchase these products continually, making my dogs their own biscuits (due to yeast infections they cannot tolerate grain).

Both coconut items mentioned smell wonderful, just like coconut as if you were using coconut hand soap.  Both have a very light, distinct taste of coconut.

Neither are sweet at all, in fact, the taste is not very inviting straight out of their containers.   Also, both are a little pricey, but health benefits are worth it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use LouAna liquid coconut oil to spritz food I cook in the Air Fryer. I don't notice any coconut flavor.

Online it says LouAna Liquid Coconut Oil stays liquid for easy pouring, measuring, sauting and baking. With no coconut aroma or taste, its a perfect substitute for margarine or other cooking oils in recipes.

Never have used coconut flour.

LouAna 100% Pure Liquid Coconut Oil, 16 fl oz

Esteemed Contributor

As someone who strongly dislikes coconut, I will say that the taste is definitely noticeable to me whenever coconut oils are used—even the ones that supposedly have no flavor. If you don't have aversions to coconut, I would imagine the flavor wouldn't be as obvious to you. I've never tried coconut flour.