Respected Contributor

Question About Cast Iron Enameled Cookwear

I really want to purchase a few pieces of cast iron enameled cookware.  I can't afford Le Creuset so I researched other brands.   I saw a segment on America's Test Kitchen that tested various brands.  They said for the money, Tramontina cast iron cookware performed beautifully and was a good value. 

I have decided to try this brand but I am concerned about using it on a glass top stove. It is described as being suitable for glass top stoves but I am concerned.   I read an article online that suggested one use spacers between the pans and surface of the stove.  Have any of you who use this type of cookware experienced any problems using it on a glass top stove?  Thanks in advance for any input or opinions. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Question About Cast Iron Enameled Cookwear

KentuckyWoman, I've used my LeCreuset on my glass stove top many, many times, and it works just fine.  However, glass is glass and cast iron is heavy.  You have to set the pans down evenly and gently, if you drop a cast iron pan on edge on a glass cooktop, odds are significant that it will crack and break the glass.  I''ve never, ever heard of using "spacers", that would be a total waste, and whatever you used would have to conduct the heat up to the pan, meaning you'd have hot spots, and those spacers would be like molten metal by the time you were done!  I strongly suggest you do not use such things!

Trusted Contributor

I've used cast iron on my glass top stove for decades.  Don't slide the pan accross the top of the stove and as the last poster stated, make sure you put the pan down carefully.  I've never used a spacer, i would think that would scratch the stovetop moreso than the pan.  

Honored Contributor

I am a fan of lodge.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

I finally got a Le Cruset dutch oven w/my credit card points in December. Maybe it's because I don't have a lot of use for a dutch oven, but I hate it. 

Stove top cooking, I've found that you really have to watch the temperature or else things will burn. And it's really too heavy for me to manage. I have one piece of ScanPan CTQ and the heating is very even and I find have to stir things less often. 

I won a contest back in May and one of the prizes was lodge cookware which is being deliverd tomorrow. I'm not sure what item I'm getting but am hoping a fry pan. Have to see how that works out. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KentuckyWoman

Before moving to my new home, I used enameled cast iron pots of all sizes on my glasstop stove and  in my oven that had stainless steel (or some sort of silver metal) shelves.  No damage done to the stove, oven or my expensive pots.

Moved to new home with gas range and a GE Profile oven with dark-colored metal shelves............now my formerly perfect LeCreuset pots are scratched on the bottom from using them on these rough surfaces.

I truly want my glasstop cooktop and smooth oven shelving back again, and intend to get them again if I live here long enough to remodel.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CinNC

When using enameled cast iron, you never need to use high heat that will burn the pan or the food.  Medium-high is OK to get things started, but medium to low is the norm for continued cooking in this kind of pan or pot.  

Cast Iron gets much hotter on its own, doesn't need much help from your stove or oven. 

Even when preheating it before putting in the food or oil/butter, you should use a gentle temperature.

And do always preheat the pan before inserting anything, or things will indeed stick and/or burn.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@CinNC

When using enameled cast iron, you never need to use high heat that will burn the pan or the food.  Medium-high is OK to get things started, but medium to low is the norm for continued cooking in this kind of pan or pot.  

Cast Iron gets much hotter on its own, doesn't need much help from your stove or oven. 

Even when preheating it before putting in the food or oil/butter, you should use a gentle temperature.

And do always preheat the pan before inserting anything, or things will indeed stick and/or burn.

What she said is exactly what you should do!  Cast iron and stainless steel are great to cook with, but you should read about them and learn what to do to be successful with these.

Valued Contributor

Love my Le Creuset on my glass top stove. Don't need high temperature, as previous posters have warned against.

Honored Contributor

I have a large number lf LC pots and they are great quality.  I know the cost is prohibitive for you at this time, but I'm pretty big on paying for quality.

The biggest thing I'd say about buying other brands is to watch for 'made in China' brands because those don't tend to be made nearly as well.   So many of them, especially celeb chef/cook brands, have had problems with explosively releasing the enamel coating, as well as cracking and chipping problems.