Regular Contributor

Quality of Temptations cookware

I ordered the recent five piece set that was available in multiple patterns and colors. I got the red doodle Doo and it's very pretty to look at, however since then I've seen multiple reviews saying how these products crack and fade etc.  

I currently use very old corningware in white with a spice pattern on it and it's held up for decades. I really would like to have some new variety at this time and I don't want solid white corningware. 

Has anyone here had any very positive or negative experiences with Tara's cookware? I'm still debating whether to return or keep. TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Quality of Temptations cookware

Based on reviews, I will not buy anything in this line for cooking or baking.   I have been gifted several Temptations baking dishes and use them only for serve ware; they have never been in the oven or microwave.  

I do not trust the quality of this line.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure but the "stoneware" seems thinner than the pieces I have from 15-20 years ago which were thicker & heavier. (Could just be my observation).  

In all the years I've used them I've had a few "craze" and became trash.  As @RedTop said I cook my food in corning, etc yet serve in my pretty Temptations.  The table always looks so nice.

I haven't looked at my set same as your referring to I just received it.  I ordered it for my friend as she loves her Temptations and has had no problems and she's a new collector. I ordered her taupe.

Respected Contributor

@Cathyshopper I've read a LOT of negative reviews...but I have several Temptations casseroles that I've used many times with no problems.

One thing I do that may help--I don't put casseroles straight from the fridge into the oven or microwave. I let them sit for a half hour or so to come closer to room temp. Then, per the instructions that come with each piece, I put them in the oven while it's preheating. That allows the pieces to warm up slowly. I still cook for the same amount of time after the oven reaches full temperature.

Never run water into a very hot or cold dish, either. Let the dish come to room temp before washing.

I can't speak to "freezer to oven" as I've never done that.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cathyshopper  I have many TT bakeware pieces and use them on a weekly basis. I have given them to my DD, DIL and DS, and they use them weekly as well. The only time a crack has happened to me is when I put one of the lid-it trays in the oven at 450. One of my oldest pieces, a brownie pan) has a lot of crazing, so I use it for a napkin holder. My issue with TT bakeware is QC, as in when I receive defective pieces. I always plan on sending it back at least once and sometimes 2 or more times until I get a piece that is painted and glazed properly. I'm also not happy with Tara right now because she changed the Poinsettia pattern. It no longer matches my collection. I have sent her emails and asked during various "chats" if the original pattern is coming back. Crickets. Tara has also been known to up prices when a free shipping day arrives. 

All that being said, nothing cleans up like stoneware. I have the muffin pans and many casseroles. They are rediculously easy to clean. This week I did a cauliflower macaroni and cheese casserole. It came out of the oven with blackened burnt-on cheese all along the edge. Came off immediately under warm running water and soap.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't have any Temp-tations but there seem to be fewer "cracking" complaints than there were a few years ago.  Maybe quality has improved.

Respected Contributor

I have had my Temp-tations for a very long time. I have never had a problem with any of them.  As a matter of fact I have given some of my old to my children.  There is one specific piece (deep baking) that I use at least twice a week.  I put it in my convection oven, after it warms up, and have had no problem.  As said before this I let them get to room temperature before I clean them.  The only thing I can say is you cannot bake in them without using a cooking spray.  I have tried to bake without anything and it always sticks.  That's where I think Tara fibs.  I always use Pam to spray in my cupcake dish or when I'm baking something like cakes or bisquits.  

Respected Contributor

I'm sure MOST of it lasts and is durable enough to cook/bake in....BUT...

If you have peices that craze or change color a little and you no longer want to use them for food, use the bowl shaped pieces to hold flowerpots in the summer!! ( the utilitarian pot that your plant comes in from the nursery...just set it on a few stones in the Temp. bowl).

I've gotten a LOT of compliments on my "flower pots"!! I  use them outdoors until I break it.  You may have to take the flowerpot out if the Temptations bowl fills with rainwater after a storm, but no biggie.

I use the lid-its under plants that I winter over in the house. Prettier than plain plastic, and they catch water if you overwater something....!

Waste not Want not!! 

I have not bought new TT for years because of the reviews, and because I will never have to buy another plate, bowl, tureen, platter or utensil since inheriting all my Mom's "Good China" which I am now using. 

And that's on TOP of my own china!!!

It matters not if it breaks, but so far, it has not. That fine china is a LOT more resilient than people think. Anyway, there's no one to leave it to, so I plan to use it up over the rest of  my life. I'm 66 now, I figure it'll take 20-30 years at the rate I'm using it.

(Mom passed at 95).

Honored Contributor

@Cathyshopper  - I haven't been buying it that long, but I have some of the old seasonal patterns in serving and baking pieces, mostly the "old" harvest and the "old" firework patterns. I'm not crazy about the "new" ones.

I have served and baked in them with no problems   Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cathyshopper 

From reading reviews , I was aware to check anything that I buy in Temptations .

My last order had a big page of do's and Don'ts , even mentions do not leave in a sink  full of water when washing by hand as the ceramic will absorb the water and cause issues.

I bought a dinner ware set as a gift . I checked it and one salad plate has a big crack in it and one dinner plate has imperfections in the seal, so  am sending back  and will reorder as the person I bought it for loves the  black/white pattern .