Regular Contributor

Quality of Aldi's baking supplies . . .

Good morning, Ladies. I bake a lot, cakes and bread. In the past I have bought Gold Medal/Pillsbury/King Arthur Flour and Fleishmann's yeast. Lately I have been shopping at Aldi's for their produce "specials", which are excellent buys and I have been very pleased with them.

This week I was out of flour, so I bought Aldi's brand, so inexpensive compared to grocery store brands! And their (envelope) yeast is much cheaper than Fleishmann's. They were out of the yeast this week, but I intend to try it on my next trip.

What do you think of the quality of their flour and yeast?? I would appreciate your input!

Occasional Contributor

Re: Quality of Aldi's baking supplies . . .

I am not the baker in the house, but my husband has been using Aldi baking supplies for years and he's never had a problem. He's done blind testing on me and I've never noticed a difference. In fact, I like their chocolate chips better than name brand. Same with their cream cheese.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a baker so I don't know but someone on this board said that their sugar is not pure cane sugar. I've never checked that out myself. Do you know?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I definitely notice a difference in how the majority of baked goods turn out but I'm a perfectionist when I bake. Using generic baking products does also seem to have an effect on how baked things turn out!! I usually can tell when someone has baked things with them. I also get asked how my baked goods always taste so good and look so good so there must be something to it!

Super Contributor

we do not have Aldie in Dallas but i will get my girl to look it up in the store . Honey I am not a cook but she has a blackbelt in my kitchen. I do think it is GOLD MEDAL I am most sure of

Trusted Contributor

I only use Gold Medal or Pillsbury. I have always been afraid to use a different flour.

Jessa
Honored Contributor

I have used their yeast with no problems. Have not used any of their flour, sugar, brown sugar etc. I use King Arthur or Hodgson Mill Flour when I don't have any flour from a local farmer that mills their own white & wheat berries. Aldi sugar is not pure cane sugar & is made with genetically modified beets.

Respected Contributor

I love Aldi's baking supplies and have never had anything less than great results. The only thing I don't buy is their sugar, as it's made from sugar beets which are almost always genetically modified. You want to look for sugar that says "pure cane sugar" on the package. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the answer on the sugar ladies.

Honored Contributor

I have found Aldi's baking supplies to be slightly substandard. If you like the store brands, they are comparable to those, but not as good as the high end brands.

That said, they are not awful, I've just gotten more particular over the years about using the top brands, especially sugar and flour, now that I can afford to buy them.