Respected Contributor

QVC now sells freezers

[ Edited ]

While browsing for kitchen items, I see that freezers are now availble. There are about ten or eleven models. All are chest styles.  
Delivery is to your garage or first floor entry.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't think I would give it a try. For these big electronic items, prefer to have a brick/mortar store incase something is defective or damaged.

Honored Contributor

Freezers seem to be available across the board now.  I saw them starting last fall at Walmart, Sams Club and Costco along with the big box stores. 

The last one I purchased a few years ago came from Wayfair.  It was manufactured in Canada, which was a plus for me.  It was delivered for free and arrived in great condition.  I don't need another one.  I already have four  of them.  They are really nice to have.  I use three if them all of the time and the 4th one only during the summer months. ( at our Lake place)

Honored Contributor

One of my three freezers is a chest freezer and I have to say - I don't like it.  Always digging to find stuff.  But then, I'm a dinosaur.  I still like a top-freezer refrigerator and if I ever purchased a stand-alone freezer I would get one that's upright, with shelves, like a refrigerator.

Another one I have out in the garage is part of a french door refrigerator. So, what you have is a small chest freezer on the bottom.  Ditto it's a bit of a PITA (I did NOT purchase that one, either).

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I would get one that's upright, with shelves, like a refrigerator.

@chickenbutt   It's what I have, an upright.  It even has a lock & key.  I got mine from Sears back in the stone ages when I was in the rat race.  So it's more than 30 yrs old, possibly closer to 40.  Still going strong.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

One of my freezers is an upright model.  There are advantages and disadvantages with the upright model.

Things I hate about it is that things fall out.  I have most of my food stored in baskets so when I open the door, everything doesn't shift, but it happens anyway, mostly because the baskets are not tall enough. Not everything is nice and square and can be stored nicely.

Sometimes things shift and it pushes the door open.  When that happens, things stored on the door and in front on the shelves thaw out. I had icecream thaw and run all over the inside of the freezer, and settle on the bottom and roll out of the door onto to floor and run under the freezer. Everything was sticky and messy and I had to throw some stuff away.  This happened a few times because even though the door was pushed closed, it wasn't sealed tight. this happened with sour cherries too.

My freezer does not have a lock, so I bought one of those childproof straps to keep it closed.  This has works pretty good.

I have three chest freezers.  It is a pain to have to lean over to get to the bottom, but I have never had any thing thaw out or problems...plus it is cheaper to run. I also keep food items in baskets and stack them.  If  I want chicken, for example...it Is stored in a blue basket.  I can remove the basket and dig through it to find what I need.

If you have a lot of stuff to freeze, especially home grown items, the chest style is better.The the upright model is great if you don't intend to pack the freezer full...things are easier to find.

I also do not like the self defrost freezers.  They dry out your food and cause freezer burn.  They are okay if you only have a few things to store for a short period of time.

Honored Contributor

Re: QVC now sells freezers

[ Edited ]

That's a lot of very interesting info, Carmie.   I wonder why those shelves wouldn't have a lip in the front to preclude things from just sliding out.

My little chest freezer isn't self-defrosting and I don't like that, though.  My problem is that I cannot seem to get the other two empty enough to put all the stuff from the little chest freezer so I can defrost it.

The other day I had to chip away a bunch of ice to get the 'basket' thing that's on the left side out.  Then, like the bonehead I seem to be now, I was trying to get it back in the wrong way and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go back in.  D'oh!  I dinked around with that for a while.  Had to open up my car door (garage) and put a bunch of stuff on my passenger seat just so I could try and figure out what was wrong.  What was wrong was me!  Smiley Very Happy

Most things, except for some boxed things I love like my Lean Cuisines and Carb Smart Bars (ice cream bars), I vacuum seal or they come vacuum-sealed so I don't have to worry about that.

I was digging around in there (on that same day) and found a few slices of Collin Street Bakery fruitcake that I had vac-sealed and stored in there - from June of 2014!   Still perfect.   As you might notice, I really love vacuum-sealing.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I recently bought from Wayfair a small upright 3+ cu ft freezer to supplement my fridge freezer.  It has 3 shelves with baskets for the food.  So far, I've really enjoyed having it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I noticed that some time last year, freezers were hard to find. Glad to see that they are now more available.

I bought a stand up freezer, not frost free, from Sears and it is now 52 years old and ticking away like new and remains in the garage. I am amazed!