Esteemed Contributor

QUESTION---opinions on smooth top cook services

I have to replace my electric range with coils. It's a downdraft model that I love but I can only find smooth top models.  I would appreciate your reviews if you are cooking on this type of surface and what cookwear do you use? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Honored Contributor

Re: QUESTION---opinions on smooth top cook services

I use the same cookware I've always used, kind of a hodge podge.  I like the smooth top because it's so easy to clean naturally.  I have a shortage of counter space and it give me extra work area.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I love mine too, and I have a big set of circulon that works great with it.

Honored Contributor

@Fressa 

I always wanted one and now I have one and I love it.

No more ugly drip pans to scour and clean and yes I never thought about the extra space but there is that too.

I think it looks so attractive as well.

My mother hated hers because she said it got spots and marks so often and hard to clean.

I dont find that at all.

I just clean it after every use with a sponge, soap and water, and then spray vinegar and use a dry cloth.

If there are any more difficult marks, I take a Mr. Clean magic sponge and some elbow grease and it looks like new again.

I hope if you get one you will really enjoy it.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

I  have both. A flat top at home and a coil type at our farm. They both have advantages. I like the ciols because they heat up faster than the flat top. At home I have the flat top. I like it because I don't have alot of counter space and I can use it for that. I would definitely get a black one of that what your thinking of. They can be hard to keep clean and they scratch. Mine has a 5th keep warm burner I use as a candle warmer. I love that.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had the same smooth/flat top stove for over 13 years and the top looks as good today as it did new. I love it. I have one or two pans that seem to leave a brown mark on the stove top, but if normal cleaning doesn't remove the mark, I use a little Bio Cleaner (QVC) on it and it's gone in minutes (any clay type cleaner probably works as well).

I've always been careful with the stove top, but I definitely do not baby it. Mine is a white top, but I'd most likely get a black top next time (maybe).

Honored Contributor

I've had mine 14 years, no issues.  If I had to replace, I'd get another.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Fressa - Interestingly enough, my new smooth-top range is celebrating its six-week anniversary in my kitchen today! Smiley Happy  It may seem silly to remember its arrival date, but I've been sooo happy with it—I can't believe how much easier it is to clean and maintain and how much better it looks and how much better it cooks (the latter surprised me, as I didn't imagine there would be a real difference). I made sure to get a standard rather than an induction top so I could keep using all my beloved pots and pans.

During the shopping process, two things stood out to me:

First, I never knew I'd be so picky about burner size and configuration, especially after just putting up with the standard coil setup for my whole life. If you think this might be important to you as well, be sure to take a close look at how each manufacturer has composed the stovetop. (And in case you're interested, I didn't find a single model that didn't have some kind of writing on the stovetop; I don't really want or need a label for what special thing a burner does/is, but perhaps that is nice for some people.) And also be sure to check out the size/style of the oven viewing area in the door if that matters to you, as I found that some are really small.

Second, if you find a range you like and you have a little flexibility in when you want to pick it up or have it delivered, bookmark the product page online (even if you're planning to buy in person) and check it every couple of days for sales. I did that both before and after I made my purchase (my sister is also looking to upgrade), and I was astonished at how much the prices changed each week. For example, I bought my range as part of an early Memorial Day sale, and the day after the sale ended, the price went up $260! But then a week later, the price was only $100 more than I'd paid. And now it's in one of those "see what the price is at checkout" stages. Long story short, if you see the price drop significantly at any point, that's the time to buy.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my novel, and I wish you success in your search!

Respected Contributor

There was an electric smoothtop range in my house when I bought it 14 years ago.  I prefer to cook with gas & bought the house because gas was plumbed to the range area by the builder (also plumbed for a gas dryer, which I will try when my current dryer is replaced)

I used the electric smoothtop for a year before I replaced it with a gas range & I didn't mind it & could live with it if gas wasn't an option.  One thing I found interesting was there was a mark on the glass top that I kept scrubbing & wiping to get rid of until I finally realized it was etched into the glass itself.  The only thing I could figure was that the previous owner of the house, which was 3 years old when I bought it, had spilled something acidic like vinegar or lemon juice on the top, maybe when it was hot & it etched the glass.

Honored Contributor

I have this in my home and use a hammered cuisinart set which I love.

If you really cook, I am not a fan of the burn marks when something spills but it's not a life changing event in my day.  

Just be prepared to have a bit more elbow grease for clean up.  I still haven't found anything that makes it easy.