Trusted Contributor

Re: QUESTION---opinions on smooth top cook services

Our house is plumbed for gas in the kitchen, and when my parents purchased it Mom had the gas cooktop switched out for electric. She's scared of flames. Several year ago she upgraded the electric cooktop to a smooth black glass model and I hate it. I moved into the family home 5 years ago to take care of Mom and hate cooking on that cooktop. It also shows every spot, speck of dust, etc. and I am constantly cleaning it. Well, 2 months ago Mom moved into a residential care home and I made the decision to remove the glass cooktop and return to cooking with gas. Can't wait to get the new unit installed!

Honored Contributor

I'm on my third one over 35 years.  All I can say is don't buy white unless you love cleaning.  My two black ones have been just fine, especially the one I have now.  It heats instantly.  I once made strawberry feezer jam and spilled an entire pint container on this stove.  The lip at the edges held it nicely.  Can you imagine the mess if that had been an electric coil stove or a gas stove?  

Esteemed Contributor

THANK YOU ALL!!!

I just wanted to thank all of you for taking the time to discuss the cook tops. I appreciate all the comments and tips as to what to look for and what not to get. I always find important information from these forums about appliances as to where knobs, etc. are placed or method of auto cleaning or knobs, etc. Those things are so helpful to me because I usually get fixed on the price first and forget about checking the quality of the racks, etc. I was concerned about the cleaning and if I could use my current pots & pans. I'm relieved now about those issues. I appreciate all the items that everyone pointed out so now I know what to check out at the store. Thank you so much!!

Respected Contributor

In this house I've had both and I prefer the glass cooktop, mainly because it's much easier to clean up spills. Having said that, mine is white and it's a constant battle cleaning stains. As with any hot surface, you can't do anything until it cools off. I use a hard silicone scraper to get rid of spills that have hardened before the cooktop cooled. I prefer the Joe Campanella cleaner in the tub, but Bar Keepers Friend scouring powder's a good second if you can't get Joe's stuff. In either case, apply the cleaner and leave it on for a few minutes, then get busy with the elbow grease. My cooktop's at least10 years old and has 2 large burners in the front and 2 small ones in the back. It would be better if the configuration was one of each size in front and back because it can get crowded with 2 large pans side-by-side. I use my regular pots and pans (also a hodgepodge). 

Respected Contributor

I've had two glass cooktops. Some ideas:

1. Choose a black cooktop if you can, rather than white.

2. Two good cleaners are Cerama Bryte, and Weiman Cooktop Cleaner. I've used both over the years.

3. Pots and pans with a flat bottom (no grooves or indentations) work best, because the whole surface is in contact with the burner. You can use other pots and pans, but they might not heat up as quickly or evenly.

4. We have Cuisinart three-ply cookware (stainless steel with aluminum core); other good brands are All Clad, Wolfgang Puck, Farberware, and many others. 

5. To prevent scratches, try to lift cookware, not drag it across the cooktop.

6. Today's cooktops heat up fast (ours has 2 "super burners" that bring a pot to boil incredibly fast; the other 2 burners heat up about as fast as coil electric burners). (The burners don't cool as quickly as a gas burner, though.) 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have a black smooth top....it looks nice, as long as you keep it clean and you can get it streak free once you are done cleaning.

Spill overs are a nightmare.

Honored Contributor

@Fressa I've cooked on a radiant cook top for years.  I love them because using the little window scraper they give you to clean up the boil covers along with cook top cream polish do a great job.

Gone are the days when we cleaned under all the eyes and covered drip trays with aluminum foil, thank goodness!  

They do take a minute extra to heat up which I'll take to get rid of the mess. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have had 2 smooth top glass stove and really do like them alot. I use any kind of cookware I have with not problem but----I bought some cheap ceramic cookware from JCP that had exceptionally sharp ridges on the bottom and that scratched the heck out of the surface----got rid of that stuff but the scratches are permanent---it cleans up like a breeze, I use Bon Ami cleanser with a scrubby pad if needed and like the others were saying, I have extra surface for hot stuff. Looks good too. Now if I were to replace this stove, mine is over 20 old now--I think I might try gas. would have to thnk about it tho.

Honored Contributor

Our son and d-i-l had one and replaced it . They did not care for it AT ALL.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Super Contributor

I have an induction cooktop and like it very much. One reason why we chose the induction is that it is very easy to keep clean. Spills do not stick to the surface because only the pot/pan gets hot. No scrubbing, just wipe. There is the expense of induction ready pots and pans if needed.