Contributor

Problems cleaning pans included with Breville Smart Oven

While I LOVE my new Breville Smart Oven, I am having quite a difficult time cleaning the metal pans that were included.  Following the instructions, I spray the 12" bake pan (the only one I've used so far)  before using.  But when I've baked frozen onion rings, French fries, and Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips, there is a nasty, greasy residue that's impossible to remove completely--and it takes a lot of scrubbing w/o perfect results. Is it the black coating on the pan?  Would a steel baking pan (like Wilton's 11-x-inch biscuit/brownie pan) clean up better?  It's very frustrating!!!!!  Thank you for your input.

Honored Contributor

Re: Problems cleaning pans included with Breville Smart Oven

What are you "spraying" with?

I always line my pans w/aluminum foil & spray the foil.  I use....

Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at Thu, Aug 11, 2016-8.34.11 AM.pngw/never an issue.  Pans always stays clean this way. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMacI do that, too;  it's the only thing that works well for me.

Contributor

I use Pam, too.  

Honored Contributor

@OKAY wrote:

I use Pam, too.  

Start lining your pans w/foil = always clean pans. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

Most non-stick sprays leave a residue (including Pam) which is impossible to remove.  Either use the foil as others suggest or parchment (a better choice as no spray is needed).

You can aldo purchase commercial sprays such as Vegalene which do not leave a residue if you have a restaurant supply store nearby.  I use this brand and the GFS brand with no issues, but most of the time I just use parchment as it is the easiest.

Respected Contributor

sometimes store brand pan spray sticks to baking pans and leaves a brownish film on pans thats hard to get off i allso use pam.

Respected Contributor

I use parchment most of the time. When I use foil, I use nonstick foil.  Never spray.

Honored Contributor

@nomless wrote:

I use parchment most of the time. When I use foil, I use nonstick foil.  Never spray.

Nonstick foil is perfect.

When we first purchased this oven, we put the pan in the dishwasher. Not a good idea, and this was one time we had NOT read the manual. Yikes. We had to buy a new one.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@OKAY wrote:

While I LOVE my new Breville Smart Oven, I am having quite a difficult time cleaning the metal pans that were included.  Following the instructions, I spray the 12" bake pan (the only one I've used so far)  before using.  But when I've baked frozen onion rings, French fries, and Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips, there is a nasty, greasy residue that's impossible to remove completely--and it takes a lot of scrubbing w/o perfect results. Is it the black coating on the pan?  Would a steel baking pan (like Wilton's 11-x-inch biscuit/brownie pan) clean up better?  It's very frustrating!!!!!  Thank you for your input.

Hi OKAY,

I love my Breville Smart Oven too.  I also suggest lining the pans with foil or parchment.  For cleaning the residue, mr clean magic eraser might work, I have used it to remove the same type of residue from my square breville pan and other pans and cookie sheets and the glass door on my oven and breville.  I always try it in an inconspicuous spot, so just to be on the safe side try the magic eraser on the bottom or side of your pan in case yours is different than mine, which cleaned up great, no marks or scratches that I could see.  Hope this helps.

tkins