Respected Contributor

Re: Price Of Holiday Whole Turkeys

@ECBG 

Just returned from Walmart grocery shopping....1.28 and 1.38 per pound, the brand that is NOT Butterball, and Butterball, respecitively..

Not buying one this year so just looked....all were HUGE!!!!!

Last year I got fooled and bought too early....closer to the Holiday the price dropped substantially so don't jump the gun!!!!

Didn't notice ham prices. I don't care for ham, so really don't look at it.

Haven't been to local Aldi's this week yet.

This is NW PA area.

Travelling to NY State Capitol (Albany)  this weekend and if I go to the store ( something different from home!!) I will look there too!! I like to go to big cirty grocery stores when I can because they have more variety and a lot more fun stuff than our relatively ruralish area!!! They have Price Chopper and Hannaford to name two....

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

You got a great deal, @ECBG 

I bought a frozen Butterball yesterday for $1.29/lb.  I also bought a frozen Honeysuckle for $1.09/lb.

Closer to Thanksgiving, I'm sure the supermarket will run a deal where the turkey is discounted with a minimum dollar amount of an additional purchase, but I didn't want to wait and take the risk of missing out on the size I want.

@JeanLouiseFinch 

I've been waiting for the Honeysuckle turkey breasts.

Turkey is a lot of work.  I do "planned leftovers around this meal.

DS wants his momma's turkey dinner the week after Thanksgiving when everyone is so busy; we always had that tradition. 

Now the grandsons look forward to leftovers, so I put a breast in the crock pot and get extra broth for the gravy.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

You got a great deal, @ECBG 

I bought a frozen Butterball yesterday for $1.29/lb.  I also bought a frozen Honeysuckle for $1.09/lb.

Closer to Thanksgiving, I'm sure the supermarket will run a deal where the turkey is discounted with a minimum dollar amount of an additional purchase, but I didn't want to wait and take the risk of missing out on the size I want.

@JeanLouiseFinch 

I've been waiting for the Honeysuckle turkey breasts.

Turkey is a lot of work.  I do "planned leftovers around this meal.

DS wants his momma's turkey dinner the week after Thanksgiving when everyone is so busy; we always had that tradition. 

Now the grandsons look forward to leftovers, so I put a breast in the crock pot and get extra broth for the gravy.

@ECBG  personally, I think a turkey is one of the easiest things to make.  It just takes a long time in the oven. Everything else is that goes with it is where the hours of work comes in.  DH and I talked about adding either a second turkey or turkey breast for extra meat for leftover care packages.  A Butterball turkey breast was $15. The Honeysuckle turkey cost $17 and change, so I made an executive decision.  I have no problem having too much meat and gravy.  Once I divvy everything between our kids, DH and I will keep enough for a couple of meals over the weekend and then I'll vacuum seal the remainder of meat and gravy for a later date.  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Actually, with all of the things to make dressing and the weight of the turkey, that's actually my focus!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The price here has stayed high ($2.99+ per lb) so far. We get the new Acme ad tomorrow, so I'll see what they're doing then. I'm intrigued by the Butterball Turkey Roasts. They come in multiple varieties and with no waste, might be a decent option. They're around $14 here. I might end up going with that. Or I might just skip a turkey this year and cook something else.

A quick update. I just got back from my local Save-A-Lot and they had small frozen turkey breasts on sale, and I got a 3+ pound one for $6.62. So, I now have a turkey breast for Thanksgiving. I was surprised to find them that small. They're typically quite a bit bigger around here.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

Usually, the Butter Ball frozen breasts are quite small here off season.

I'll get several "store brand" (which I think are better), they go up to 9 lbs., and put in the freezer.  We'll have a little turkey dinner in February or March and I'll get some turkey sandwiches which is a big treat for me.

Deli turkey and chicken tastes like paper to me.

Honored Contributor

Think I saw $2.79lb for store brand, $2.49lb for butterball, prob $5 lb+ for organic and free with $150---I don't buy whole birds anymore, just pieces to cook---I HATE picking the carcass afterwards!!!  this year my brother is cooking a prime rib and lamb!! He is smoking them both too--should be wonderful.

Honored Contributor

I saw Butterball turkeys yesterday for 1.40 something a pound yesterday. That was in the best local chain near where I live that isn't gouging people on anything, including turkeys.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just received our local grocery store flyer in the mail.

Frozen whole turkey is  .49 cent p/p. Great price. Cheaper than last year.

Fresh whole turkey is  .99 cents p/p.  Another great price.  Along with the sides also on sale.

If you have a BJ's near you,  with a purchase of $150 you get a frozen turkey for free.  $150 is easy for us to do.  We always have a full cart when going to Costco or BJ's.

ETA- These are prices for Shady Brook Farm, Grade A turkeys.  Very good taste. Also like ButterBall. In addition to the local fresh turkeys, these are the brands we like.  Have tried others but they don't have the same flavor as the SBF and BB.

Honored Contributor

My local IGA hasn't advertised whole turkeys as yet.  This weeks ad has their cheap store brand turkey breasts for 99 cents a pound.  I would cook and feed it to my dog, but not my family.