Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Carmie...I quickly read on line that you can use heat proof tall glass containers, fill your crockpot with water and heat up - the chocolate melts.  I guess it works well when you want to use different types or flavors of chocolate.  I will have to go back and re read the article.

Have you ever wrapped your pretzel rods in carmel before dipping in chocolate?  I wan to try that version as well.

I have not and I have only done a cover mix type thing with pretzels, cereal, nuts, etc.  However, when I have received some or ordered some, the caramel seems to come off in a gooey piece.  Good luck! 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Oh yummy! I'd be happy to taste them for you! I love caramel and choclate, sounds like a wonderful idea.

Trusted Contributor

I once saw the Pioneer woman make them and she used a tall glass and only dipped about halfway.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs--someone mentioned the chocolate in a tall glass---that's what I did too and it worked very well, then rolled them or sprinkled them with goodies. they turned out just like wha you would buy.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  I have tried to melt Caramels and dip pretzels.  I only tried it once.  I had problems.  

The caramel did not set up well and when I dipped the pretzels in chocolate, the caramel melted and mixed with the chocolate and I had a mess.

i thought about putting the caramel pretzels in the freezer first, or using those wraps made for caramel apples but because I make so many at a time, it would be too expensive for the wraps.  I usually make 105 at a time.

i guess I should have tried another method, but I never have.  I just gave up with caramels.

I do make turtles with caramels.  I place three pecans together in a star shape on cookie sheet with parchment paper, then place an unwrapped caramel on top.  I place in a not too hot oven until the caramel melts.  When cool.  I dip in melted chocolate.  They turn out fine.

Thanks for the tips and let  me know how your caramel pretzels turn out.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie, thanks for the advice about the carmels.....the turtles sound good!!   I make peanut clusters and they are also a bit of a pain when dipping, you have to work fast so the fondant does not fall off when dipping....even tho I work with cold fondant....thinking I should stick to cookies!

Trusted Contributor

Please share what kind or brand of Chocolate you use for melting. And do you find those large pretzel rods??

Thanks

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Carmie, thanks for the advice about the carmels.....the turtles sound good!!   I make peanut clusters and they are also a bit of a pain when dipping, you have to work fast so the fondant does not fall off when dipping....even tho I work with cold fondant....thinking I should stick to cookies!

I do it the easy way.  I melt chocolate, then stir in the nuts or raisins, then drop by spoonfuls into those little paper cups you use to make candy.

I just purchased a gallon can of Almond paste.  I am going to attempt to make cookies with it.  I love almond paste cookies and I need gluten free ones.  I am going to need good luck.

Honored Contributor

Re: Pretzel rods

[ Edited ]

I use a hershey bar and ghiradelli chocolate chips....Last year I purchased more expensive chocolate (mail order) and could not taste the difference so I will use what I have in the past.  @spud188