Respected Contributor

@SharkE I also have an old Presto stove top one. I still use it for quick cooking veggies as green beans , carrots, collards , etc. Under 5 minutes . Over the years we have developed a relationship. I find it good for a quickie.

I have smelled that 'burning ' odor in the learning process though!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I live alone, cook for one but would never buy a 4 qt.  Cooking isn't my favorite activity so I like leftovers to eat a couple of days and something to freeze for later.  You can cook a small amount in  6 qt but you can't cook a large amount in a 4 qt. 

I agree with @Kachina624 I too cook for one and initially bought a 4 qt. CE but wasn't happy with the results and at times the size.  Bought an InstantPot 6 qt. model and couldn't be happier.  Great results and a bit more room which you may need occasionally.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I still use an old school pressure cooker on the stove with the weighted jiggler.

@CelticCrafter  Nothing wrong with that.  I used one for 50 years and so did my mom before me.  Followed the instructions and never had a bit of trouble with it.  I still have it on stand-by in case the fancy, pretty one quits. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I have 5qt and 6qt. One is an electric and  a presto  with rocker gadget....I use the Presto for pinto beans can not beat it....electric for roast etc....I agree to go for the 6 quart as you can cook most anything and also smaller amounts.Im still learning to use my electric and its o.k. But like the presto best.....

Valued Contributor

No question, Instant Pot is the brand to purchase. It's by far the best selling electric PC on the market - and for good reason. It's a superb product.

There's Facebook group called Instant Pot Community with 572,569 members. Yes, that's right more than half a million members! On Prime Day last year, Instant Pot sold 215,000 pressure cookers in one day. That ought to tell you something.

As a second electric PC I might purchase a 4 quart model, but if it was my primary unit, I'd choose a 6 quart. Recipes are typically written for 6 quart models. Yes you could alter a recipe for a 4 quart model, but why go through that? You can make smaller quantities in a 6 quart, but not larger quantities in a 4 quart.

I love the stainless steel pot and would not choose a PC with a nonstick insert.