Respected Contributor

Re: Prepared Thanksgiving Dinner

Here in Central FL, we've ordered a thanksgiving dinner several times from a restaurant called Cody's Roadhouse.  They are also open that day, but you can pick up a dinner for four until noon.  Not like homemade, but completely acceptable for the price.

$56.00 for 1 lb. turkey, 1 lb. ham, garlic mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, green beans, cranberry sauce and pineapple sauce, salad, 8 fresh baked sweet yeast rolls with cinnamon butter and 4 slices of pumpkin pie.

Denise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spud188 wrote:

What is a WaWa turkey gobbler??

It's Thanksgiving on a roll:  hot turkey, gravy, stuffing, and cranberry sauce.  Eat it like a sandwich!  You know what they say: Gotta Hava Wawa!

Honored Contributor

I think it's the way to go if you don't enjoy cooking.  Why torture yourself.  Chances are if you don't like to cook, the meal you're buying couldn't be any worse than whatever you would prepare.  (Provided you ordered it from a reputable or recommended place.)  

I love to cook, so it's not a chore for me.  It's something I enjoy doing.

Respected Contributor

I do think it is a good idea if it is offered in your area.  I live rurally, so the best you can do is if WalMart offers it, but that is a 45+ mile drive away.  I find it easier for everyone coming to the dinner to bring part.  We do this in our family.  One person will do the turkey, another the ham, and we all bring sides and dessert.  We coordinate, so no one brings the same dish.  Granny does the turkey in the smoker.  It is the only way she can't overcook it.  You just put it in the smoker and walk away.  It is hard to overcook it in any way.  I suppose if you left it for a week you might have jerky.  We always end up with dishes that people didn't put down to bring because they just add stuff last minute, so we have tons of food.  There are anywhere from 12 to 24 people.  We never know how many will show.  We eat dinner then supper.  We just put a sheet over it all and take naps and ride the four wheelers, then do supper.  

Honored Contributor

Being on a fixed income, I can provide a Thanksgiving meal for my family at about half the price with plenty of leftovers for another meal that week.

I bought a smoked turkey breast from our local VFW last year.   I didn't like it.  

I'll buy a frozen breast & do it on my rotisserie.

I'll go to the farmers market for veggies.

I am no gourmet cook by any means, but with a little planning and realistic expectations, preparing the meal is a labor of love.   I don't have to fix dozens of items, using dozens of ingredients each.

If you have a very busy life, or otherwise can't cook, the most important part of Thanksgiving is being together with family.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I knew a woman who raved about a Thanksgiving meal she had gotten from Boston Market.

Personally, their food is too rich for me.

You could also do a turkey breast or turkey parts in the crock pot.  I've found that they're best cooked at a max of 5 1/2 hours.  You will get broth to make gravy.

AS far ads desserts, if I pick up one, it's from Fresh Market or a privately owned bakery.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your responses.  Now, there will only be 3 of us and no way am I going to make a monstrous turkey.  Instead, there will be a Perdue Oven Roaster Chicken -- the biggest one I can find with all the usual sides.  Saw a 8+ lb. today and should have gotten it.  Maybe tomorrow.  Wonder if anyone will know it's not turkey.   I'll save the traditional meal for Christmas when there will be more of us.  

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess Cracker Barrel would be terrific! Everything they make is wonderful!Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Gave up wrestling a heavy turkey into the oven  and making it look good a long time ago. 

Have never heard decent reports of how whole holiday dinners purchased elsewhere work out for major  holidays.......too many lukewarm reviews or outright complaints.

One solution for me  this year is to visit our closest HoneyBaked Ham store, ask them for a half or whole pound each of thick-sliced ham and turkey.  I've bought this way several times in the past year.  

Also will purchase their container of turkey gravy, ready for heating.

Then, I'll  heat the meats,  fix the dressing and other side dishes myself, and let guests choose the turkey or ham.

HoneyBaked Ham stores have nice-looking traditional side dishes in their refrigerated cases for people who really don't want to cook anything on their own.  Haven't tried any of them yet, but I'm tempted. 

Last year around Christmas, they had a delicious-looking rum cake, but I saw it too late to purchase for our holiday party.

This reminds me of a few years ago when I ordered the ham and turkey from HBH.  It was just the two of us so I took the easy way out for the meats.  We made the rest.  Well, the ham was delicious but the turkey was horrible.   It was sliced turkey breast and they'd added the same maple syrup topping to the turkey that they put on the ham.   Who wants sickly sweet turkey???? We threw it in the trash.  What a waste.   I'll stick with ham if I ever order again.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spud188 wrote:

What is a WaWa turkey gobbler??

It is like a sub sandwich with roast turkey, gravy, stuffing and cranberry sauce.  People swear by it but I never had one in the 16 years we lived in PA.