Honored Contributor

Re: Prepared Thanksgiving Dinner

I have done that several times.  It was good deal but some items, were not to my liking so I prepared my own.  I used the gravy provided but I had to "doctor it up" as my  Mom would have said.  Same with the mashed potatoes, I added some butter and cream.  

Honored Contributor

I've eaten these grocery store prepared meals a number of times and did not enjoy them at all.  I thought they were terrible.  I'd rather have KFC.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@coffee drinker, I  tried this once some years ago, and it wasn't bad, although it wasn't that inexpensive. If I had to do it again (for a small group), I'd probably just buy a turkey breast and bake it, but buy the sides from my favorite grocer's deli. Bob Evans (and some other brands) have great mashed potatoes that just need to be heated in the microwave, and there's nothing wrong with the jars or packets of turkey gravy. Mrs. Smith's and Marie Callender's both have frozen pumpkin pies that are good.

Respected Contributor

This year Costco is offering the complete meal, serves 10 I believe, for $99 delivered!! How easy is that? 

Respected Contributor

@GCR18  I was actually talking about Shop Rite because that's my go to store.  Have you ever had the Turkey dinners from there?

Everyone talks about Wegman's -- wish that chain had a store in CT. 

Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

@GCR18  I was actually talking about Shop Rite because that's my go to store.  Have you ever had the Turkey dinners from there?

Everyone talks about Wegman's -- wish that chain had a store in CT. 

I live in WI, I wish I could have a Stew Leonard's here.  No, haven't ordered Turkey dinner before.  I read the ad yesterday and asked my mother of she wanted to try it.  The price was good.  I think it will be good.

@coffee drinker

Esteemed Contributor

A bit off topic, but a prepared Thanksgiving dinner to eat at home is a wonderful gift to give to anyone who is struggling with illness or other distress in their family.

Many years ago, when I worked, I was at home recuperating from an accident.  The man I worked for called me well before the holiday to tell me he had ordered Thanksgiving dinner to be delivered to my home.  What a sweet surprise!  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Gave up wrestling a heavy turkey into the oven  and making it look good a long time ago. 

Have never heard decent reports of how whole holiday dinners purchased elsewhere work out for major  holidays.......too many lukewarm reviews or outright complaints.

One solution for me  this year is to visit our closest HoneyBaked Ham store, ask them for a half or whole pound each of thick-sliced ham and turkey.  I've bought this way several times in the past year.  

Also will purchase their container of turkey gravy, ready for heating.

Then, I'll  heat the meats,  fix the dressing and other side dishes myself, and let guests choose the turkey or ham.

HoneyBaked Ham stores have nice-looking traditional side dishes in their refrigerated cases for people who really don't want to cook anything on their own.  Haven't tried any of them yet, but I'm tempted. 

Last year around Christmas, they had a delicious-looking rum cake, but I saw it too late to purchase for our holiday party.

Respected Contributor

I've been at gatherings where the meal was ordered from Publix. The turkey was fully cooked and just needed to be re-heated, along with the sides. The turkey was fine. The sides were things I don't eat (mashed potatoes, gravy, dressing, green bean casserole, marshmallow salad) so I took along a large green salad to share. It was certainly easier for the host to prepare and everyone else seemed to really like it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

What is a WaWa turkey gobbler??