Honored Contributor

Re: Preparation for new counter top installation

I always post a "plug" for WILSONART LAMINATE COUNTERS. 

We've had ours for at least 4 or 5 years, and with no special caution, they're still just about perfect.

The pattern/color we've had happens to look great with our retro kitchen.

Just something to think about if you happen to be looking for a bargain or temporary fix, or both. I LOVE mine!

Respected Contributor

Violann, you're absolutely right about laminate.   As they say, "You've come a long way, Baby."  

I've said for a very long time that I did not want granite.  Everybody 'n her sister has it.  So I was searching for something "different."

Our problem, if you want to call it that, is the copious amount of sunlight our kitchen and breakfast room get.  We have a Southern exposure, and the south wall is 99.9% window glass. When the sunlight hit the 'sparkles' in the laminate samples we tried, they mirrored / flashed.   So, I moved to quartz, but had the same problem because of the mica in quartz.  The glare was almost painful.

In my heart of hearts, I really wanted soapstone anyway.  Everyone tried to talk me out of it because it is such a soft stone.   But it has a matte finish, so that was my argument for it.

We eventually found a designer to work with.  She shot down the soapstone right away because of the configuration of our counter top. Soapstone sheets tend to run smaller, so it would have involved too many seams.

She told me about leathered granite.  It has a matte finish, soft texture (as soft as granite can be, anyway) and we found it the same color family as soapstone.  

Our granite is called Steel Gray Leather. We are over the moon happy with it. 

trimmed.jpg

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got so busy bragging about my new counter tops, Woman Embarassed, I forgot to address one of my own questions that started this thread.

I took the easy route, and just covered the contents of the drawers with towels.  It turned out to be a moot point, though, because the first thing the installers did was to remove all the drawers.  DUH.

The only debris had I to contend with was under the sink from the drilling of the holes for the faucet and soap dispenser.  A quick vacuuming took care of that.

The installation of the back splash takes place tomorrow.  I'm both excited and nervous about our selection of it.  It's steel gray metallic Formica, with a texture that resembles rain running down a window (to go with the glass in our upper cabinets).  It's one of those things that will either look fantastic or horrible.  

Thank you, All, for your advice and good wishes.  Here in the Kitchen/Recipe forums, y'all have always been supportive and of good will.  It's appreciated beyond my limited ability to express. 

Valued Contributor

I  have been without a kitchen for three weeks. My husband's and sons gutted it before the contractor came to save money. So many decisions to make about this kitchen I had no idea. Right now all but one cabinet is installed and my backsplash is not installed yet. On Friday my sink was finally hooked up and my microwave was installed but an electrical problem has suddenly appeared. An electrician is coming on Monday. My countertop is a Wilsonart laminate and its beautiful. I love it. It was installed very quickly no problems. We have come along way. I even had a new window installed but all this takes time.Hopefully just another couple of days to complete.

Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

I got so busy bragging about my new counter tops, Woman Embarassed, I forgot to address one of my own questions that started this thread.

I took the easy route, and just covered the contents of the drawers with towels.  It turned out to be a moot point, though, because the first thing the installers did was to remove all the drawers.  DUH.

The only debris had I to contend with was under the sink from the drilling of the holes for the faucet and soap dispenser.  A quick vacuuming took care of that.

The installation of the back splash takes place tomorrow.  I'm both excited and nervous about our selection of it.  It's steel gray metallic Formica, with a texture that resembles rain running down a window (to go with the glass in our upper cabinets).  It's one of those things that will either look fantastic or horrible.  

Thank you, All, for your advice and good wishes.  Here in the Kitchen/Recipe forums, y'all have always been supportive and of good will.  It's appreciated beyond my limited ability to express. 

Hi IamMrsG!

I'm so glad for you that things are progressing and that you can see light at the end of the tunnel.

I read with interest your piece about the reflectivity of the various countertop surfaces.  Wow!  I'm so glad you brought that up, because our new kitchen and breakfast room is BRIGHT and has a humongous window as well.  However, it is not one homogeneous space: the kitchen is "U" shaped, with the entrance to it facing the hall, and the breakfast room on the other side of the "sink" wing of the "U."  Hope I'm not being too obtuse. Anyway, given that we have this "U," I really think we can do soapstone, based on what you had indicated a month or two or three ago.

Am very greatful for this information. ~Rebecca

Valued Contributor

Iammrsg, I share your excitement and trepidation concerning the new backsplash. Mine will be installed this week also. So far I have loved everything installed and am hoping that's the same for the backsplash. Em

Respected Contributor

@embgm:  Thank you for your empathy.  Woman Happy  I had a minor panic attack this morning, suddenly deciding I hate the soon-to-be-permanently installed backsplash.  Out of nowhere, it looked hideously ugly to me.  Mind you, this is the same backsplash I have carried a sample around with me for at least a month.  But, this morning, it was the last possible thing I would have ever chosen.  <VBS>  This too shall pass, this too shall pass.  Breathe in, breathe out.  

I have to tell you I gasped for you when I read you've been kitchen-less for three weeks.  I've been without one only since Friday, and feel I've endured, suffered, miserably.  (just kidding--kinda)  

I also agree whole-heartedly with you about the overwhelming choices there have been to make.  I foolishly went into this expecting it to be fun. NOT.  Can somebody tell me when the fun begins?? 

Best of luck to you, Emalyn.  Please keep us posted of your progress. And remember:  breathe in, breathe out.  

Respected Contributor

@sfnative  Hi, Rebecca!  I've been thinking about you, Move Day and your new house.  I've said it before, but I sincerely pray it turns out to be a huge blessing for you and Mr. Sfnative.

I've come to think of the purpose of my wanting soapstone to be of service for you in a, "Works in mysterious ways" kind of path.  I'm happy for you that it's going to work out in your kitchen.  I'd love to see it, but will settle for a happy, glowing report once it's in your kitchen. Deal?

Our countertops (3 segments) each turned out to be seamless, and I am estatic about it.   See?  All things work out for the good.  

Take care and please keep in touch.  --Mrs. G.

Valued Contributor

I had a discussion with my contractor about seams in my countertop too. I also had 3segments and no seams. We are living parallel lives IamMrs.g.!  We just finished our pizza. Hopefully I will be using my new kitchen by the end of the week.  Em