Honored Contributor

Praise for Jimmy the Baker

[ Edited ]

Due to a broken ankle, knee replacement and hip surgery, I haven't been down to the basement freezer in about three years.  I counted on DH to bring up stuff.  Imagine my surprise when I finally made it down there and found three different items from Jimmy the Baker I had bought for the holidays, two crumb cake flavors and a lemon loaf.  I have to tell you they haven't suffered at all being frozen that long.  And the best part?  I don't consider the price outrageous like I do most of the food QVC is selling now days.

Respected Contributor

Re: Praise for Jimmy the Baker

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I've ordered quite a bit from Jimmy, mostly crumb cake, of which I'm inordinately fond.  Usually they're pretty good but in the past year I've gotten shipments where the crumbs were dried out and hard as rocks.  8 left one cake out on the counter and in one day, it got mouldy.  That told me it started out old.

Then I decided I really preferred the taste and texture of David's crumb cake so my problem was solved.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I don't understand how he can say they aren't made until they receive the order. If that is true they should be very fresh upon arrival. Sorry, but I don't believe him. 

Honored Contributor

@RetRN   The cake part may be freshly made but some of the crumb toppings I've received surely aren't ...or maybe they need a new recipe.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Some items I enjoy from David's Cookies like their cheesecakes and cakes, and some things I don't. I find their crumb cake "repeats" on me which I attribute to some oil used. And find the crumble too thick. 

I have in the past enjoyed many of Jimmy the Bakers items, but have noticed some changes that have caused me to step back from buying recently.

Honored Contributor

Both times I have ordered crumb cakes, they were very good.

Trusted Contributor

@depglass Yes, we love his crumb cakes. In fact, I froze some, then took them on a long plane ride to Hawaii. I put them back in the freezer once we arrived. They were in the freezer for a couple months. Keep in mind, they were frozen twice, and they were still really good. In fact, the family that stayed with us ranted and raved about them.

My brother enjoyed them so much I ordered some for him for his birthday. He was so thankful. We haven't once received a bad batch. We get positive responses every time we serve them up. 

Contributor

Agreed.  Perhaps it is all in the way people interpret the word "fresh."  To some it may mean fresh as in not stale.  To me fresh means baked in the morning and eaten the same day.  Can't get any fresher than the bakery at Publix.  Publix shoppers know what I mean.

Honored Contributor

Crumb cake is so easy to make I never thought about ordering one!