Honored Contributor

You know what I discovered today?  I was looking for my chopped walnuts and they were in a lock and lock container in the bag they came in, inside the refrigerator and they smelled and tasted funny.  I think it's the plastic.  This is the third time I've had something l like that occur.  My father used to make his own granola, and he always stored his whole grains, nuts, any dried fruits in glass Ball jars in his fridge.  I always told him "Dad, there are all kinds of plastic containers to store things in."  Nope.  He was a stubborn man, but I have to say sometimes the old way is the best.

So I bought new bags and took and opened them and put them in some Ball jars my husband had stock-piled when he makes his jelly.  Don't tell him, cuz I didn't ask.  LOL.  

I wish Dad were here because I would tell him he was right.  

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 That's what I've been doing!  And that's the reason I got rid of the lock n lock.

Honored Contributor

I buy walnuts in bulk and store them in the freezer.  They do not keep well and go rancid quickly in the refrigerator or pantry.

I freeze them in zip lock bags.

Honored Contributor

I stopped storing food in plastic. I now use Pyrex Snapware.

My husband always seemed to melt, even microwaveable, plastic containers. Did not matter the manufacturer. So I ended up throwing out most of my plastic containers and only using Pyrex. 

Imtep - I have cases of Ball jars in the attic - if you want them. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Practical Storage

[ Edited ]

I keep a variety of nuts and seeds, assorted keto chocolate chips, flaked coconut, and several keto sweeteners on hand at all times and I keep all those things in Prepworks containers (hard, clear plastic like Tritan), some Rubbermaid tritan type, or Pioneer Woman glass jars. No problems yet, but they are getting used at a good rate and not sitting on the shelf indefinitely.  I'm eliminating my Lock 'n' Locks in the kitchen.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I stopped storing food in plastic. I now use Pyrex Snapware.

My husband always seemed to melt, even microwaveable, plastic containers. Did not matter the manufacturer. So I ended up throwing out most of my plastic containers and only using Pyrex. 

Imtep - I have cases of Ball jars in the attic - if you want them. 

Thanks.  Too bad we couldn't exchange info anymore.  

Honored Contributor

Don't people "save jars" anymore?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi  No.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi  No.

@proudlyfromNJ     I guess I'm the "oddball"  (!!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi   You have SOME company.  If a jar is the right size and has a unique shape I save them.  I have a stash of full Dickinson's small jars of pumpkin butter and cranberry relish.  

When they are empty I wash them thoroughly and use them to store things like celery seed that I purchased in bulk and shift them out of the Ziplock type bags into those.  They are small squares and look so much nicer on a spice shelf.

aroc3435

Washington, DC