Esteemed Contributor

Re: PowerXL 1550W 6-qt Grill Air Fryer

@cactuschic,  a word of caution about the default slow cooking function:  Today I made the mac and cheese recipe from the accompanying recipe booklet.  It called for cooking 4 hours at 190 degrees (the default settings) and if I let it cook for that long I'd likely have a sauce!  I stopped the cooking process at about 2 hours and could have decreased the time a little more.

The no extension cord warning not withstanding I would not hesitate to use a properly rated one.  A standard household extension like one would use for a lamp would be problematic.

Do not be concerned about the air fryer lid.  There is a bit of side-to-side movement but if you look at the bottom of the lid you will see a ridge.  The ridge seats inside of the pot creating a "seal".

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Contributor

@Marp  Thanks for the input. If I decided to go ahead and use an extension cord, I would definitely not use anything less than a heavy duty type cord. I also appreciate the input on the wobbly lid.

I've had similar issues with recipes for my regular slow cooker, but coming from the mfgr, you would think that someone tested it prior to printing.  On the other hand, there is a strong probability that there is a typo in the manual as it seems no one today employs proof readers.  Thanks for the tips. 

Contributor

I sure will . We are going to use the Sous vide tonight.

Contributor

After it says to add food hit start again.

Respected Contributor

I'm thinking this new TSV might be a better option than my original post.  1800 watts and it looks better from a counter space standpoint.  Will be watching tomorrow!

BBD281EF-3DAE-4111-9634-227513FE21C2.jpeg

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was just looking yesterday, and found it strange that there were no reviews.  I thin Amazon might have some, not positive.

UPDATE....I hav both the ninj and now the XL.  I loved the ninj, but only used it to make hamburgers. When I saw that the XL had a glass top, and seemed to do more, I decided to get it. Tonight was the first time I used the grill for, yes hamburgers!!  I pre heated it, and after I put it in, I didn't know what to do. So, I fooled around with it, and got it to continue grilling.  I had to leave it, and thought it got over cooked, but it turn out to be delicious!!! The fryer top, I guess just needs a wipe down, but the other pieces go in the DW.  It did have a chemical smell, but subsided after cooking. I had washed everything beforehand.  Hopefully it won't the next time!

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

I'm thinking this new TSV might be a better option than my original post.  1800 watts and it looks better from a counter space standpoint.  Will be watching tomorrow!

BBD281EF-3DAE-4111-9634-227513FE21C2.jpeg

@BornToShop,  before you decide give a lot of thought to what foods it will be used for, particularly the height of the food.

From the listing:  Approximate measurements: Oven 19.7" x 7.6" x 15", weighs 18.57 lbs; Interior 13.54" x 13.5" x 2.76"; Pan/Basket 13" x 13"; Cord 3'L

Not seeing the interior and the location of the fan and elements I would not put anything higher than 2" inside the unit.

As to the difference between the 1800 watts of the Foodie compared to the 1550 of the XL in the end it will make little difference.  The XL might take a bit longer to pre-heat but 500 degrees in either unit is still 500 degrees.

I'm not trying to discourage you or to tout the XL, I simply want to give you "food for thought".

Contributor

Update:

Tonight i did a tough steak from one of those food trucks...lesson learned never buy from a food truck. This was our last of the steaks so i fiqured i had nothing to loose.

First of all the book say could take 30 minutes or longer to come to temperature. Well it sure did it took a hour to get to 160, but i cooked it for 1hour and 15 minutes. They felt tough when i took them out of the bag ,but i put them on a hot skillet for a few minutes to brown them and i was surprised that was what this food truck steak needed . They were not tough and my jaws did not hurt when i got done eating...not kidding. So overall even though it took a hour to come up to temperature i think it will be pretty good.

Esteemed Contributor

@heyslick57 wrote:

Update:

Tonight i did a tough steak from one of those food trucks...lesson learned never buy from a food truck. This was our last of the steaks so i fiqured i had nothing to loose.

First of all the book say could take 30 minutes or longer to come to temperature. Well it sure did it took a hour to get to 160, but i cooked it for 1hour and 15 minutes. They felt tough when i took them out of the bag ,but i put them on a hot skillet for a few minutes to brown them and i was surprised that was what this food truck steak needed . They were not tough and my jaws did not hurt when i got done eating...not kidding. So overall even though it took a hour to come up to temperature i think it will be pretty good.

@heyslick57,  did you by chance use the sous vide setting?

Occasional Contributor

The Ninja looks much better if only for the space saving.

I went to try the XL grill/AF to cook up some ground beef.  First there was a speck of dust that I attempted to remove and it was the hole in the finish.  My fingernail made the hole larger.  I decided to try it for the ground beef.  The temperature only goes to 350 on saute.  So the meat actually just sat in the fat and juices - no browning at all.

So now my plan is to contact QVC.  I do think the item is defective.  I wonder if the finish came off because of the grill plate.  Someone really dropped the ball with this.  I really thought this might replace my AF, electric skillet and slow cooker.  In my opinion it doesn't replace anything at all.