Valued Contributor

Pot-in-Pot cooking with the Instant Pot

Just curious as to how many of you who own the Instant Pot use insert pans to do pot-in-pot cooking. I'm thinking of getting a set but am wondering how often I would use them as opposed to just putting all my ingredients in the IP itself. Obviously it would depend on what you're making, but would love to hear how most of you use your IP. That is, do most of you just use the IP itself most of the time, or do you find yourselves using the insert pans more often. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Pot-in-Pot cooking with the Instant Pot

I have used a pot insert in my CE pressure cooker.  I went through my cupboards and found a insert for a cooker I'd gotten from Evine fit perfectly in my 6 qt PC.  I made a frietta (sp?) which came out well although I figured I could have made an omlett with less effort, same result.  I also have some stainless steel bowls that could be used.  Check out what you've already got.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I use a combination...there are times when it's just the Instant Pot and other times when I use the inserts from my Cook's Companion airfryer ( mostly a cake pan that is deep and a small pie pan) to cook certain food items.  I also use the smaller inserts when I just want to cook a small amount of whatever food I am cooking...still learning how to maximize the Instant Pot. 

Respected Contributor

I use the IP inner pot most of the time.  Like to freeze left overs.  Use inserts only for some things.

Honored Contributor

You can use any dish that can go into the oven, incuding silicone. I have a IP but haven't used the pot in pot yet---but I will!! Have had such fun using it. I have been pressure cooking since I was in 5th grade-----the old Presto stove top one---and then got an electric one from the Q, years ago,  but this thing has so many fun buttons--made yogurt tha was to die for !!! 

Honored Contributor

What would you cook pot-in-pot?

Super Contributor

Trusted Contributor

I have a stackable stainless steel dual steamer that I use for making lasagna rolls in my IP. Can use it for other things, too. I also use a springform pan, with bundt insert, for fabulous desserts. Pot in Pot means many things!

Valued Contributor

Haven't been back on here for a bit, and just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. Just got my IP yesterday, so have a lot to learn about using it.

Respected Contributor

Got mine yesterday too! Very excited to use it- I already signed up on the IP Facebook page! lots of great recipes  and folks there!