Respected Contributor

Re: Pot Roast Pros... advice please.

Brown the beef on top of the stove.  Cover the meet with 1 can cream of mushroom soup and 1 can cream of celery..right from the can donot dilute.  Then sprinkle 1 package of dry onion soup on top of meat. Put lid on. Cook in oven at 275 for eight hours.  Absolutely delicious and makes wonderful gravy.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat  This looks good enough to eat and inspired me to make my own.  First off, I added some items that may not be traditional.

Dried cremini mushrooms

2 bay leaves

a few cloves

cayenne pepper

I put everything in the pressure cooker except the potatoes because there was no room.  I cooked it for a while, released the pressure and the veggies had cooked down enough to put in potatoes.  Closed the lid and started again, but forgot to turn off the keep warm function. 

Then I had lunch and fell asleep.  So when I woke up several hours later, it was still keeping warm and bubbling.  

The result was that everything was overcooked to the point that the potatoes turned to mashed potatoes,  but everything is still very tasty.  Just can kick myself for forgetting that keep warm function.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 wrote:

My dear mom and dad always made an awesome pot roast for the 3 of us. I cook it in a crock pot, but it's more like stew. They always cooked it in the oven for about 4 hours at 325 degrees. The roast, quartered potatoes, carrots and parsnips were added at the same time along with a can of beef broth, seasonings and a little water (the liquid never covered the roast). The meat was so tender and wonderful - fork tender.

I roast mine in the oven in a similar way.

Here is how I make mine, and it comes out really tender.

I place the meat and desired cut-up potatoes and veggies in a large foil-covered baking pan.

I like to put either red potatoes or russet potatoes in with the roast, and some carrots. I'll put some onions in if I have them, and some celery, too.

I'll also put in a small can of mushroom stems and pieces. 

I preheat the oven to 425 degrees. 

I usually put a packet of dried onion soup into a measuring cup and add one cup of water and mix the soup with the water. I pour the contents over the meat and the veggies. 

I then season the meat and veggies as desired, to taste.

I'll use a bit of worcestershire sauce, some black pepper, some paprika, and some dried parsley. I'll add some season salt, but use a light hand. 

I go easy on the salt, due to the worcestershire, and the onion soup. 

I don't sear the meat first, as I let it roast for half an hour at high heat first uncovered, instead at 425 degrees.

Then I take the pan out of the oven, and cover the pan with foil.

I turn the oven down to 325 degrees, and let the oven return to that temperature.

When the oven reaches 325 degrees, I return the foil-covered pan to the oven. 

I then let the meat and veggies roast at 325 degrees for another 2 and a half to 3 hours, depending on the size of the roast. 

I'll usually check for doneness around 3 hours. I remove the pan from the oven and lift the foil carefully. 

When a fork can pierce the meat easily to check for doneness at the thickest part of the roast, then I know that the roast is done.

When it's done, I then let the roast sit uncovered for about 15 minutes before slicing, so that it has a chance to cool down and so that the juices can set. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Question -------  I notice that many put their pot roasts in the oven, but I want to do a pot roast in a large pot, simmering on the stove.    Anyone know how long this method will take ...  or have any tips?    

BTW, good recipes ...  yum!

I also noticed many use beef broth as most of their cooking liquid.   Personally, I find a can or two of Campbell's French Onion soup (diluted a bit) to be my default cooking liquid, (for chicken, turkey and beef),  and it's just heaven if you later make gravy from the juices.

Valued Contributor

@house_cat 

LAZY SUNDAY POT ROAST is featured on radio program  *The Splendid Table*  

Check out the website for interesting background story and recipe. 

Let us know how your Pot Roast turns out!     

Keep Calm and Pot Roast On, 

CAT

Valued Contributor

@house_cat   That's what mine looks like when done. I wish it was in my oven we've had the flu for 2 weeks.

Esteemed Contributor

@hayseed00, that's exactly how I make a pot roast....and my mother before me. Always turns out flavorful and fall apart tender.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44,

I used to cook all beef roasts on the stovetop in my Dutch oven, until I started low and slow oven cooking. 

Essentially I did everything the same way; dredged the roast in seasoned flour, browned on all sides, covered with beef broth, added several onions quartered, brought the liquid to a boil, covered the pot, reduced the heat to a low simmer, and cooked for about 4 hours.