Valued Contributor

Re: Pot Roast Pros... advice please.

Low and slow!  Bob Bowersox "Granny's Pot Roast" is done on the stove and is delicious.  If you can't find it on Google let me know and I'll post it.  My Dear Dad would always add a dry burgundy wine to my Mom's Sunday pot roast.  It made the best gravy!  My Mom's famous last words "don't put too much!"  Sure do miss them. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@house_cat    I don't use a slow cooker for mine. I don't care for all the liquid.I use an enameled cast iron roaster. Brown it good on both sides on stove top. I season with pepper, garlic salt or garlic powder. Cook on 325 degrees in oven.When it's getting tender I put potatoes and carrots around it and continue baking until the vegtables are tender. When done I make gravy out of the browned bottom of the pan with beef broth.

Frequent Contributor

I used to put it ib the oven at 250 degrees before going to work in the morning.  If you want to make it really easy, put it in your dutch oven, top with a can of mushroom soup and a packet of Lipton onion soup mix, put it in the oven at 250 for six to eight hours - or a little longer.  You can add carrots and potatoes, but I always found them too done that way, so cooked them separately when I got home.

Honored Contributor

Brown in oven for hr or hr and a half. Put in Instant Pot to tenderize for 45 minutes, set and forget.

If I want vegetables just open a can and add bacon grease or butter depending on if it's corn or green beans, hominy, etc.

Contributor

Don’t own a slow cooker, never really cared for the results. You have a fantastic vessel that will allow you to make a great roast. Wish I had one but adthritis won’t let me have one, just use my Calphalon with great results. I either d a pot roast on stove top or in oven.  You can google the better websites for help - Southern Living, Americas Test Kitchen ( but you do need a membership... )I always start with an old Betty Crocker recipe from the dark ages when I was first married  (google it) and ad-lib other stuff I would like in it, like maybe some wine, Worcester sauce whatever. Use that Le Cruset while you can still lift it -lol- they are really heavy and don’t get any lighter the older we get.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SCshopper2

Good advice.  

I have plenty of Le Creuset and other brands of heavy enameled cast iron...........but I still resort to doing *MY* version of pot roast in a slow cooker,  just since I finally found one that I like.

My pot roast  version usually turns out to be more like a beef stew or beef-vegetable soup, but we like it.  It's a great way to pack  a variety of vegetables into one meal.

If I wanted a "real" pot roast, it would be done on the stovetop or oven in my LC cast iron braiser pan  or Dutch oven for  about three hours or more.--AND it would have a much richer and tastier appeal than the slow-cooker version.

Esteemed Contributor

My dear mom and dad always made an awesome pot roast for the 3 of us. I cook it in a crock pot, but it's more like stew. They always cooked it in the oven for about 4 hours at 325 degrees. The roast, quartered potatoes, carrots and parsnips were added at the same time along with a can of beef broth, seasonings and a little water (the liquid never covered the roast). The meat was so tender and wonderful - fork tender.

Respected Contributor

I woud cook it on top of the stove.  Brown it well on all sides on high heat then reduce heat and simmer as long as you wish.

Honored Contributor

Next time you have time try this one. It's so good. The gravy is yummy. I think the gravy is better made with Better Than Bouillon vs beef broth. I did use 5 cups water total instead of 4 because it seems to evaporate more using the better than bouillon.

I have made pot roast a few other ways but this is my favorite.

• 4-5 pound chuck roast
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Kosher salt, and coarse ground black pepper (about 2 teaspoons each of salt and black pepper)
  • 3-5 medium yellow onions, quartered
  • 5-6 whole carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
  • 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
  • Around 4-5 cups beef broth
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup flour

Pre-heat your oven to 275 degrees.

Use paper towels to pat the chuck roast dry.

Liberally season both sides with salt and coarse ground black pepper.  Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Brown both sides about 3-4 minutes. 

Remove the browned roast from the pan and set aside.

Add a bit more oil to the pan, add in the onions and brown on all sides. 

Return the roast to the pan, placing it on top of the onions.

Arrange the carrots and potatoes on the sides of the roast.

Add in enough beef broth so that the sides of the roast are covered, about 4 cups.

Bring it up to a gentle simmer, then cover the dutch oven and place in the oven for about 4 hours for a 4-5 pound roast or 3-4 hours for a 3-4 pound roast.

When the roast is fork tender and will easily fall apart, it’s done.

Carefully remove the roast from the dutch oven. Remove the onions, carrots and potatoes as well.

Return the dutch oven to the stove with the liquid remaining. Heat over medium high heat for about 5-10 minutes.

Make a roux - In a small saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat.

Add in the flour and whisk really well. Allow the roux to cook for a minute or two.

Mix the roux in with the liquid and whisk really well. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the gravy has thickened a bit. YUM!!!

Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone!

It turned out great!

IMG_9353.JPG

IMG_9355.JPG

And the best part is.... we have reruns on the menu for Thursday!

IMG_9356.JPG

~ house cat ~