Trusted Contributor

Sounds like all very good ideas.  I have my great grandmothers set that is very very old.  I think I may have to drag it out and try to clean it.  Its in a wooden box, but back then they had no tarnish free material to line the box.

Respected Contributor

Re: Polishing silver..HELP!

[ Edited ]

@Mothertrucker

You're not going to like my post if you love your silver.........

but as the bride of a large wedding  in the 1970s and inundated with silver and silverplated gift items--  big and small-- of all types...........

I kept them all polished at least  every two years., or stored in costly large pieces of cloth zippered  silver-preserver bags..........

BUT didn't use the items  much or at all.........and decided over the past couple of decades to gradually get rid of them via consignment, donation,  or outright selling on venues such as Craigslist or to silver dealers who would melt them down for base metal value.

Don't miss the silver ONE BIT since then. There is such a thing as a loved item vs. a burden.  My silver was always a burden.

And by the way, I tried the aluminum/baking soda dipping technique, too.  It works to some extent.   This system was sold on HSN shopping channel years ago, with a metal perforated plate and a bag of washing soda.

I used it a couple times.  Trouble is, it also  removes the dark , recessed oxidized color that gives fine sterling silver pieces their distinctive look.  That's not a good thing, necessarily.

Respected Contributor

@Mothertrucker

Also, people who might value your silver and want to buy it  would prefer that it be tarnished.

Every time silver is polished, some of the silver is worn away.

Collectors will prefer the seldom -polished type.

Super Contributor

There are several ways to polish silver.

For smaller items, use an aluminum pan and washing or baking soda.  Place water in the pan and heat.  Add silver, such as jewelry.  Wait a few minutes and the tarnish should be gone.  Remove, rinse well.  I always wash with dish soap and water.  Rinse again.  Dry with soft cloth.

Larger items can be placed on an aluminum pan in the sink with hot water and washing or baking soda.  Items must be in contact with the aluminum as it is the chemical reaction that takes away the tarnish.  Rinse, wash, rinse, dry.

Wrights Silver Polish is great as well.

I wrap in silver cloth, then vacuum seal for long term storage.  The foodsaver works well for smaller items, and the vacuum sealed clothing bags great for larger items.

Honored Contributor

Re: Polishing silver..HELP!

[ Edited ]

Science teacher here. I prefer to bulk clean silver with Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and aluminum foil. It is also doable with baking soda but I prefer the washing soda which is widely available in grocery stores.

You will need to use a glass baking dish (Pyrex) . DO NOT USE ANY METAL CONTAINER for this procedure. DO NOT ALLOW ANY OTHER METAL OTHER THAN THE SILVER PIECES YOU ARE CLEANING AND THE FOIL TO GET INTO THE WATER OR THIS PROCEDURE WON’T WORK. Bring enough water to a boil to almost fill your container. Let water sit to cool just a tiny bit but water is still extremely hot. In the bottom of the container lay a large piece of foil. Pour water into the container to a point a few inches below the top. Pour 1/4 cup of the washing soda into the hot water. 

Now, dip your silver piece into the water by sections of the piece making sure that a part of the piece TOUCHES THE FOIL. As you touch the foil, sections of the piece that are submerged will instantly become clean. You can then redip the piece in other sections making sure  to touch the foil until the entire piece is clean. Rinse and dry the clean pieces.

OF COURSE, AVOID BURNING YOURSELF IN THE HOT AWATER. 

IF YOU HAVE A VERY DEEP GLASS CONTAINER YOU CAN TRY USING MORE HOT WATER AND SUBMERGING BIGGER SECTIONS OR SUBMERGING THE WHOLE PIECE AT ONE TIME. Only the parts that touch the foil will clean.

Unfortunately, I can’t remember if I ever used ceramic or plastic containers for this procedure so I can’t vouch for their performance and the possibility of plastic melting from the hot water is a safety consideration.  

Respected Contributor

I edited a post above to describe what I found with the aluminum-and-washing-soda-dipping technique, which was sold on HSN with great fanfare years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian  We used Twinkle as a kid and then after I married for many years. For about 15 years, I haven't been able to find it. Thought it was discontinued. Where do you find Twinkle? It was the best and easiest silver polish ever!  TIA

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

You ladies are AWESOME!! Yes, the worst of the tarnish is a chafing dish, which IS silverplate, but even the really heavy good silver platters are pretty bad..

Question: Is washing soda the same as baking soda?

I tried baking soda and tinfoil as described and I think it made enough of a dent on the bad ones , that I WILL be able to polish them up..,but was wondering if washing soda is sodium bicarbonate the same as baking soda??

and I DO have Bioclenaer,so I wll grab that too!

I will let you all know!

Honored Contributor

I love and cherish my silver!  There is just nothing else like it.  

I always use Hagerty products.  Their spray product is really good too.  In an "emergy" I have used their silver dip on flatware and been pleased with the results.  I wouldn't do it all the time though.

I wouldn't use the washing soda and foil thing on really good silver.  It can take the tarnish out and give the patina an odd look on old silver.  

Amazon carries Twinkle and Twinkle wipes.  

Most things worth having are a little trouble!  

Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady Amazon sells it.  I was first introduced to it when I found it at my local grocery store.  Thankfully it's stocked there.  I love it and tell everyone about it.  I have yet to be disappointed in it.