Respected Contributor

Re: 💰Please share your money saving grocery tips.

[ Edited ]

One more tip!!!

At Easter this year, I went to my local Walmart the Monday after the holiday weekend, just by happenstance, not by plan...

They had a TON of "stickered" meat in the meat cases (Marked down to current sell date)...I think they put out too much stuff for people's Easter meals, and had it all marked down that Monday. 

I scored some really good buys on meat.....the best being a pork butt that was 17.00 dollars I got for 8.00!! Cooked it, froze part of it,ate some....I cook it in Ocean Spray CranApple juice ( diet) and it is delicious!!!

Got ground chuck marked down, and a chuck roast.

Of course you have to be sure the meats look and smell OK...but they did, and I got some great deals!

My tip is...THIS is a holiday weekend, and I plan to go on Tuesday early AM to see what they may have!!

Respected Contributor

I shop the weekly ads of my local grocery stores (Kroger and Publix) and use their digital coupons.  When meat is on sale, I stock up and then freeze it in individual portions.  I plan my meals according to what's on sale and what I have in my pantry.  I used to shop Target for some grocery, but found that I get better pricing at my local grocery stores (Target has gotten expensive).  I got to Walmart but not often and usually stock up on canned goods there.  I go to Costco for dish detergent, TP, paper towels, aluminum foil, trash bags, etc....I really don't buy a lot of "food" from Costco.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Othereeeen 

@Othereeeen wrote:

@qvcaddition 

Please check with your Office of Aging or agency for aging in your state or community...they go by different names in different states....maybe someone at your church or food pantry can direct you..

If you have NO savings left, you may qualify for SNAP ( food stamps) in your state...have your son check. You probably paid taxes all your life, now is the time to ask for help.

There are low cost NEW plans for internet access too....based on income. ACP Program I think it's called.

There's no shame in asking for help. Please do...

Thank you.  I have called lots of places.  I get care credit from PGE and went on one of their programs which helped during the winter.  It went up in April, because every 4months they figure out what your bill was for 12 months, when i was not on the program and figure there base from that evulation, which doesn,t make sense, so it raised my base for the next 4 months until they evaluate in Aug.  This is what made a 40.00 increase in my budget, but i do not get anymore money for my budget, so the plan hurt instead of helping. Even with the care credit. They will take their lb of flesh. Thank god, i don't have to turn on the heater, weather has been good.  I try not to use anything bet. 4-9 to save on Elect. and gas. So, I cook before 4 and no TV.  The water rates have gone up in CA and I have written letter to the city council.

I have gone to the cable and lowered my bill by 50 dollars, but might have to cut cable and just get the internet. I stream on the free TV movies, like FREEVEE and IMBD.

I am on a Calif. lifeline for phone, just local calls, no long distance, but have a tracfone for that with no monthly payments.

My HMO has me on Medical Financial aid for anyone making below a certain amount.  I qualified last month.  This helps alot with my medical.

It's the utilities that have cause the problem with my budget.

Gas is high, but I just travel around town.  

In June, I have to decide between eye exam and new glasses or dental cleaning.  I love my dentist, but a cleaning is over 250.00 if he doesn't come into the area and inspect my teeth. Then it's 110.00 more.  He gives a 15% discount and I have Care Credit, but can't afford another bill on my budget.  I have vision ins., but I still have to pay about 200 out of pocket, depending on frames or no frames. I have been trying to get frames online.

Believe me, I am trying everything I can and some help I have gotten, but it's the utilities.

I am grateful for all the suggestions here and because I am getting medical help from the HMO, somethings I have to weigh out if it's worth doing and losing the medical help.

Everyday is a challange, but it keeps my mind sharp.

It will get better.  If I knew CA was not going to get any rain this year, I might have held off on the new roof and would not be so strapped.  My roof was leaking a lot and I had a lot of dry rot when they went in to do it.  The plywood went so up in price because of covid.  I did a lot of research online with the company i finally picked and they were great, though pricey.

My son who was in construction at the time, was up on the roof with them to make sure I wasn't getting taken advantage.

Anyway, It's PGE and the water and cable increasing all the time.  I fought with the city council because they don't give Seniors a break like they did years ago.  They will not budge.

The Mayor lives on my block and someday if I see him outside, I will approach him and give him a piece of my mind with all his promisces. 

Thank all of you on this post for your suggestions and advice.

I will keep on going with the fight.  I"m luckier than a lot of people.  I have my health, wit, sound mind and strong body.

Honored Contributor

Our store has what I call a "scratch and dent" section.  It contains dented cans, discontinued items, and perfectly good items that just won't fit on the alloted shelves.  It also includes expired milk and juice.    I've NEVER had milk go bad, or juice for that matter.   I just am sure to buy things we normally eat, although a reduced price sometimes gets me to try something new. 

Honored Contributor

Cutting the size of our meat servings has helped. Last week I made nachos and sprinkled just a little browned hamburger on top instead of piling it on. When we grill steak, I cut off just a few ounces for myself. That's really all I want, yet I get that great grilled taste. For canned and boxed items, I like Aldi's, but I pay more for meat at a local meat market. They balance each other out.

Honored Contributor

@On It I agree with what you said, but have to tell you that although I am not a lover of most casseroles,  I love King Ranch Casserole beyond anything reasonable --  so much I can't be around it often.  The old Southern Living recipe from back when is what I make!!!!!  

Your tips are great but you have set off a craving!  Woman EmbarassedWoman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

@Sooner My bad! 

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@Sooner My bad! 

@On It  YES!  Woman LOL

Super Contributor

I have a lot of ground meat in my freezer, purchased back when prices were lower. I cook a batch of it,then keep it on hand to use throughout the week. Tacos one night, perhaps sloppty joes, taco salad, Cornish pasty, spaghetti sauce, etc.

Then I give it a rest and focus on other ingredients and proteins the next week. Can do the same with chicken. I suppose vegetarianss could do something similar with a veg base that can be repurposed.

Esteemed Contributor

We buy 10 or 15 lb chubs of hamburger at Wal-Mart for a very good price.  As soon as we get home we cut them into 1 lb portions and put each portion in a zip lock quart bag ( squeeze out all the air, flatten so they are square, freeze and stack in my freezer). For my small family of 3, a pkg is perfect for hamburgers, tacos or two for meat loaf. I currently have 17 pkgs in my freezer.