Valued Contributor

Re: Please help-----which dishwasher do I buy?

We purchased a German-made Miele last year and I absolutely adore it. Stainless steel interior and third utensil rack on top. When the salesman was showing us the various models, he was raving about that third rack and I kept thinking "I certainly don't need that." Then we looked around town at models that didn't have that, and then I was convinced that I DO NEED THAT! You have to one-by-one line up your silverware, but when you go to unload the washer you can scoop up all the forks at once, etc.

Trusted Contributor

We went with a Kenmore Elite stainless steel dishwasher and we are so sorry.

One day I was in the basement on the treadmill. I had started a load of dishes before I went downstairs. Finished my run, opened the door and started up the steps to the living room. And I smelled hot plastic. Went into the kitchen and it was the dishwasher. The circuit board had melted. When the repair guy came in, he said, "Oh, you have a Kenmore; they're famous for that." He fixed it and we've not had any trouble since. With that.

We also had the rinse aid nozzle melt down and had to get that replaced.

It has a plastic silverware holder and pretty much every bottom in that holder has broken. I am constantly fishing out silverware that has fallen through the bottom of the basket. I hate that basket and I keep saying I want to get a replacement for it.

There are two appliances I would never, ever recommend. One is a GE refrigerator (the motors will actually burn the kitchen floor. Yes, it will, happened to us. And when we replaced the fridge at that time, we were told that it's a common problem with GE fridges. Maybe they've gotten better. I'm not taking any chances.) The other is a Kenmore dishwasher.

YMMV. But that's how I feel.

Trusted Contributor

When my dishwasher died two years ago, I chose a Maytag, which is what I had in my previous house. I really like the features of this model, with a top rack that is easily adjustable. It also has a stainless interior, which most new dishwashers have. I'm very happy with it.

I, too, asked for recommendations. A lot of people like Bosch, but I really wanted to purchase from an American company. The only negative thing I heard about Bosch was from a friend who said some of her American-sized dishes didn't fit in it very well. I haven't heard that complaint from anyone else though.

Valued Contributor

Kenmore. I swear by Kenmore. My parents always bought Kenmore and instilled it in me to do the same. Never had a problem with a Kenmore! Stay far far away from GE!

Honored Contributor

On 3/13/2014 Vamp said:

When my dishwasher died two years ago, I chose a Maytag, which is what I had in my previous house. I really like the features of this model, with a top rack that is easily adjustable. It also has a stainless interior, which most new dishwashers have. I'm very happy with it.

I, too, asked for recommendations. A lot of people like Bosch, but I really wanted to purchase from an American company. The only negative thing I heard about Bosch was from a friend who said some of her American-sized dishes didn't fit in it very well. I haven't heard that complaint from anyone else though.

Vamp, as I've posted, our last dishwasher was a Bosch. It did have a smaller interior than our previous and current dishwashers have. It's just the two of us, so it wasn't a big deal. But I am happier with the size of our current Kenmore Elite -- and much more satisfied with it in general. It's the quietest we've ever had and problem-free.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!

I decided on a KitchenAid with the stainless steel tub and the outside control panel. It was on sale and fit the revised budget a bit easier. I had to give up on the idea of using my wood panels because those models were just too pricey. When you include the additional work to create the door it gets price crazy. If I knew the appliance was going to last longer than 3-5 years, I might have done it but decided that additional money is better not spent on a gamble.

I can't thank all of you enough for your suggestions and input in my dilemma. I drive myself crazy with trying to find out as much as I can and to read all the reviews. Consumer Reports is a starting point guide for me but I have found that the information that I receive on these forums have been so helpful. Things that I did not think about like how I load the dishwasher, etc. became my deciding fact. Who knew that there is a difference between brands and models? Another surprise that you shared was that some of the racks and tines were not adjustable. I'm always using that feature trying to get my Lock & Lock and Food Processor in there. What a help that was to know.

Delivery is set for Friday so I'm hoping for no surprises.