Honored Contributor

Re: Please check your spices for the holidays

@Misplaced Parisian   I hope you are happy!  I have been very pleased with their items and service and have ordered about six times so far!

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner I placed an order.  They have some lovely sounding salt free mixtures.  I'm excited.  I also found porcini mushroom powder which is rare to find.  I use it in risotto.  I'm very thankful you told us about this.  Happy Cooking.

Honored Contributor

I wish spices came in smaller containers.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner  Hi!  I just had to let you know I've been using the spices from the website.  Oh goodness, they are marvelous.  The Sunny in Paris is yummy.  Prices & sizes of jars are excellent.  Thank You for telling us about The Spice House.  Happy Holidays to you & yours.

Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@Sooner  Hi!  I just had to let you know I've been using the spices from the website.  Oh goodness, they are marvelous.  The Sunny in Paris is yummy.  Prices & sizes of jars are excellent.  Thank You for telling us about The Spice House.  Happy Holidays to you & yours.

@Misplaced Parisian  I'm so glad  you like it!  I have been very very happy with their products and service!  Happy Holidays to you too!  Have a spicy Thanksgiving!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

Every year the week before Tgiving I clean out both my "pantries" toss older flour, staples, etc. -- refill with fresh.  Although, most my pantry items are in Lock N Lock pieces and I keep my flour,sugar, etc. in my new favorite containers the OXO pantry pieces.  

My spices I always write on bottom date bought/opened.  Awhile ago, I switched over to small glass jars with "locking" clamps.  If necessary, I replace any that are more than a year old.

I wipe down all my cabinets, drawers & enjoy the start of baking / cooking season with a "fresh" kitchen🙂

Valued Contributor

ACTUALLY  Spices don't spoil in the way that would make you sick--- they just change in flavor ie- they may not taste as strong and frankly- even though a jar may be "small" do you REALLY use the whole jar at once if you only make a pumpkin pie at thanksgiving? And spices are not cheap - as long as I don't have to worry about getting sick (and storing my spices properly (not too hot not too cold etc) I am not about to spend a lot of money and use it once and throw the remaining out immediately. 3-4 years is recommended for still having the flavor- but yeah it still wouldn't make you sick if longer! Save your money!

Honored Contributor

The only "spice" I toss because it has expired is baking powder. Once it loses it's potency, it doesn't work. I even replace it before it expires sometimes.  Once the can is opened, it doesn't last too long.  I use baking powder when making cookies with nuts and nut rolls.  The ingredients are too expensive to take a chance of the dough not rising.

Everything  else is okay to use, as long as it isn't a day older than dirt.  When spices get too old, they lose their flavor. If they smell potent and clean, they are good to use.