Respected Contributor

Please check your spices for the holidays

Last week found out my grocery store had a sale buy 1 get 1 free with spices. I was shocked how many were expired. Some expired 2 yrs ago, I am so ashamed of myself to neglect this. LOL Some spices I only use once in awhile & that is around the holidays. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Please check your spices for the holidays

Awww...don't be so hard on yourself. Smiley Happy I recently restocked spices I plan to use for holiday cooking and baking. There were more than a few with an expired use date. 

Valued Contributor

I did the same thing. I threw out 17 small containers of spices that expired so long ago.  I am planning to order replacements from Penzeys. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sissel  @LilLadyNJ  The Spice House (a specialty spice shop--not the common grocery store brand) on the website has a special selection of I think 24 spices in very nice sized good quality jars for $99.  While that sounded very expensive to me, I started thinking how much I'd pay for less volume of spices at the grocery store.

I got this set and have been very pleased with them.  Check them out and see what they have, I have been impressed.

Respected Contributor

didn't check last year but everyone is alive & well & no complaints so guess I was OK. I'm up to date now LOL

Honored Contributor

And spices can also get bugs..........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

some of these spices are around $3-$4 wow!!! so glad to buy 1 get 1 free. 

Respected Contributor

heard pensey is good too they have sales on line. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner Oh, Sooner, I had never heard of The Spice House before and had to look...OMG!  Thank You for mentioning this.  Wow.  I'm compiling my list and will place an order soon.  THANK YOU!

Honored Contributor

Check size of the spice jars too and quality and freshness is the stores is sometimes a problem.  The spice jars I got in my set were a lot larger than some I see in stores.

And they all MATCHED!  I was so thrilled!  LOL!!!  They look so good in the kitchen on the rack.  I have NEVER had that before!