Honored Contributor

Regular kool aid works as well. Get the kool aid that requires you to add sugar.. You don't want sugar in it, just aroma and color.

When I bought the Kool Aid 20 years ago last, I was shocked at the price! LOL! I think we used to pay 5 cents and then a dime for a package.!

I always made mine in a bread maker. I always had to make so much of it for Sunday school, and several colors I couldn't be bothered. But, it certainly is a project with the kids and grandkids. They need gloves if you don't want their hands dyed though, haha. If you make plain playdough, it would not be a problem.

Trusted Contributor
On 12/8/2014 shoekitty said:

Regular kool aid works as well. Get the kool aid that requires you to add sugar.. You don't want sugar in it, just aroma and color.

When I bought the Kool Aid 20 years ago last, I was shocked at the price! LOL! I think we used to pay 5 cents and then a dime for a package.!

I always made mine in a bread maker. I always had to make so much of it for Sunday school, and several colors I couldn't be bothered. But, it certainly is a project with the kids and grandkids. They need gloves if you don't want their hands dyed though, haha. If you make plain playdough, it would not be a problem.

We never had our hands stained from kool-aid play-doh. I wonder why?

Trusted Contributor
On 12/8/2014 Cinder63 said:

It seems to me we used to make something like this, roll it out, use Christmas cookie cutters esp the Santa and reindeer, and then bake or let dry -- poke a hole through first -- and decorate with glitter and such as tree ornaments. Might be a fun retro craft project for the kiddies.

Yes, but it's a different kind of dough. The play-doh recipe I have doesn't dry out enough for ornaments. There's an ornament recipe we also made with a dough that had a TON of cinnamon in it--smelled so good! I will post it on a new thread if anyone is interested.

Respected Contributor

Sfnative, you are welcome.

As usual, the original poster is nowhere to be found. {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/8/2014 sfnative said:

I have made this recipe for over 25 years. We used it at the Church for the kids, and it is tried and true! The secret ingredient is Jello. Pick your flavor and start there. I love the Strawberry, watermelon and the kids love it too, as well as orange and grape! Make sure to use sugar free. I have only made this in a bread maker, but you can look online how to do it by hand.

Boil some water at least 1.5 cups, then.....

In bread maker place

1 cup flour

1/2 c salt

1 small pkg jello your choice

1/2 teas cream of tarter (optional for longevity)

turn breadmaker on white bread cycle and start

add small amount boiling water (about 1/2 cup)

mix a few seconds and add

2T oil (not olive oil, it goes rancid)

then gradually add boiling water a LITTLE at a time until playdough consistency.

knead for several minutes until soft, and holds its shape. You will know! It looks just like Playdough, but smells better. When it is right consistency, stop bread maker

It is hard to say exactly how much water to add, as it is different each time. I have made it with 1 cup, many times 1.5 cups and a few times almost 2 cups. Just have it on hand so you have it handy.

shoekitty,

Question: Does the Jello make the mixture sticky? I'm interested because my GD is almost old enough to start "messin'" with Play Dough type stuff. Thanks for helping me understand the recipe.

No, it does not make the mixture sticky at all. Use sugar free jello. It gives an aroma the kids love, and it adds the color without adding food coloring. I think the gelatin in the Jell-o mix makes the playdough more pliable.

Sugar-free jello makes infinite sense. Thanks for getting back to me on this one.

Honored Contributor
On 12/8/2014 Vamp said:

We never had our hands stained from kool-aid play-doh. I wonder why?

IDK. Maybe you cooked yours? I only made it once or twice by hand, and didn't cook it. Maybe that is the secret? When I hit on making it with the bread maker, my kneading days were over! We made tons of the stuff. I also think kool aid had better colors. I like the softness of the Jello, but I use kool aid just as much!