Respected Contributor

Plastics - Purge/Keep - What do you do?

I will be purging my plasticware as I have ordered some new Snapware from a Woot special. I will be purging my tossable bowl collection, those that I can let go of and not feel bad about, and my well worn out "good bowls". If it doesn't have a lid that fits, it goes. If the lid is warped, it goes. If it is stained beyond what is considered acceptably clean, it goes. I will then be looking at what is left in what sizes and what I actually need.

How do you purge your plastics and decide what to keep?

Respected Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Plastics - Purge/Keep - What do you do?

I have gotten rid of all but 2 sets of the lock & lock that all stack together with their lids on. It is tedious to have to open them to get the smaller ones but they hardly use up any room at all in my cupboard and I have 12 bowls covering every possible size.

Honored Contributor

Last year I realized that I had three drawers and one shelf full of plastic containers. I put them all on the dining room table with all the lids and matched them up. If something was without a lid or stained I tossed them. Then I proceeded to put them into two drawers (I also kept a shelf in the laundry room for larger containers to freeze homemade chicken stock, etc.) Everything left on table was donated with its lid.

Trusted Contributor

I use plastic ware to death, and then it is not to be sold or given to anyone else, and I have a burn box in my garage, and ANYTHING that is burnable, I burn, so as not to have it in a landfill, or land up in any place else.......My dad loves to burn, so it is a win for me, and for nature........AND, I do use some that is not so bad for leftovers for him to take home.......Cool You could always use as leftovers for others if they do not mind, and say that they are not to be returned......meaning the ones with tops and such.........{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

I tend to use it to death as well, which is why I toss and not donate. I'm not sure about burning them as they are plastic which means they are petroleum and probably bad to burn. I'm also pretty sure then don't really go away when burned since they just melt. I have a yard work burn pile, but that is just plants.

Honored Contributor

i go through once a year and do the same make sure there is a lid for every pot {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} and used to recycle, new recycling company here now that doesn't take as much. Not sure what I will do now.

Trusted Contributor

Over time, I have completely purged my plastic. Found that I really don't like it - don't like the "taste" that it leaves in my food, never felt it washed clean, and now that I have read that it is dangerous to use anything plastic in your microwave, I have found that I much prefer to use glass. Have completely switched from plastic bowls, containers, etc. to the good old standby - pyrex!

Super Contributor

Burning plastic is a horrible thing to do! Releasing toxins into the air, among other things.

Please be responsible and take it to the recycling center.

Respected Contributor

I can't take glass to work, so plastic is what I have to take. It also has to be clear.