Respected Contributor

Re: Plastic wrap in the oven

You are right @novamc1, but the way we did it in the restaurant, it really wasn't near a direct heat source, and it held up fine..

imagine a a steamer type reataurant pan, covered with plastic wrap in a 325 oven, covering a stew, or lasagna for example...I certainly don't know if it is "chemically safe" but I DO know, it never melted onto the pan or The oven, unless it somehow, as you say, it came in contact with the heating element, which under normal circumstances, it didn't...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

@scotnovel wrote:

There are special plastic bags for cooking food in crock pots.  Their main goal is to improve clean up because at the end you just take the bag out and throw it away and the crock pot is clean.  However, you can also seal it at the top and the liquid won't evaporate.  The bags are shelved near the plastic wrap and foil.  

I would never use plastic wrap on food in the oven.  Are you sure they aren't using special cooking bags or material like that made especially for the oven?

I guess you mean Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners.  I've wondered about them - why they're needed, it's not hard to clean a slow cooker.

i always wondered about those myself. i know some on these boards swear by them, but i never have any problems cleaning up the crock in my slow cooker. everything and i do mean everything releases easily.

i dont care for those roasting bags either.

i would not use plastic wrap in the oven......not sure if i would ever really need to use it. sometimes i do use aluminum foil if needed.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Plastics chemically degrade under the right conditions.  Call the manufacturer of your saran wrap, and find out if it is safe to use and how to use it.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.