Esteemed Contributor

Re: Planning meals when nothing sounds good..................

DH and I are both retired and it takes a bit to get me motivated to cook a meal - that's why I only do it a couple of times a week, and believe me that they are simple meals. When I don't make anything, we eat leftovers or fix whatever we each want (frozen pizza, etc). Hubby will eat anything I make, so there are always grilled sandwiches with fresh deli meats and a variety of cheeses. I like making home made soups like vegetable or even potato soup with carrots and celery or broccoli. Spaghetti and meatballs (Prego sauce and frozen meatballs) or a big salad with frozen garlic bread are options. Also, we love a simple egg quiche in the afternoon using a frozen crust, diced Canadian bacon and a few veggies. I do not cook a big meal for us very often. We can split a grilled steak and baked potato and that's all we need. My suggestion is to look for simple things to fix and don't worry about planning a big meal!

Valued Contributor

When I am feeling good and actually like to eat, I make a batch of meatballs and freeze them in ziploc bags, pork tenderloin cut in 4 pieces and freeze, buy shrimp and freeze in bags, then I have proteins that cook quickly and have salad ingredients in and maybe a couple of fresh veggies.  All cook quickly and it's not such a chore.  I do often go through stages when I don't feel like eating and have to feed my husband so having quick cooking things in the freezer helps a lot.

Respected Contributor

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup always welcome with us when stuck in a rut. Or we just go get Wendy's Taco Salad.

Respected Contributor

If I may ask , Why can't you taste or smell things ?

Respected Contributor

It si more difficult for me to eat anything I am resticted on my salt intake. And It's frightening at times. If it was just me I would probably live on cereal, oatmeal, and fruit cups and salads.

Honored Contributor

I have a similar problem. My husband has lost a lot of weight due to health issues and the medications he has to take.  In addition, he has no appetite or interest in food.  I struggle to cook things that will entice him to eat. When I ask what he'd like he says, "I don't know. Chicken?"  When I cook for an hour or two and he takes a few bites I want to cry.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@aroc3435  i have a Peg Bracken paperback and i use many of her recipes.  my old standby has been Eiffel Trifle for leftover roast beef (when odd rare time i prepare it)

i get into the doldrums with meals.  we started doing our own meals. 

I dislike meats except the occasional hamburg in chili or pasta sauces,  but DH loves meat: pork chops, lamb chops, angus burgers,  so he grills his meat.  He is trying to lose weight so it's a bagged salads for him - i have gi issues with salads, don't eat them.

i like fish, scallops and shrimp, he can take or leave.    i do the veggie and potato thing,

i keep canned Salmon to make salmon burgers,  smoked salmon, frozen shrimp annd pick up fresh seafood. 

we rarely eat out or even do takeout. not even pizza, around here there are really no good take-out places.

Respected Contributor

@CatsyCline It is so difficult to plan menus when household members have different dietary needs or preferences.  I'm fortunate that my dear significant other and I have no such restrictions yet; I did succeed in gradually helping him to cut way back on his salt and sugar intake since I first met him sixteen years ago this coming October.

Like you when I was working I could never eat a tossed salad at lunch as part of my meal, but could at home for dinner.  I think the workplace stress and salad didn't mix well in my gi tract either.

Peg Bracken's book just makes me roar laughing.  Even if I don't follow her recipes completely she often just gives me a new idea and certainly improves my attitude concerning "I'm bored so what's to cook" rut.

Significant Other and I don't go out to eat very often, except during summer travel back to New England, and rarely get takeout unless we are completely at a loss, for the same reason as you--not too many good choices nearby. 

He enjoys cooking as much as I do and cleans up so that is a plus.

Hope you and your husband enjoy a lovely Sunday.

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@CatsyCline It is so difficult to plan menus when household members have different dietary needs or preferences.  I'm fortunate that my dear significant other and I have no such restrictions yet; I did succeed in gradually helping him to cut way back on his salt and sugar intake since I first met him sixteen years ago this coming October.

Like you when I was working I could never eat a tossed salad at lunch as part of my meal, but could at home for dinner.  I think the workplace stress and salad didn't mix well in my gi tract either.

Peg Bracken's book just makes me roar laughing.  Even if I don't follow her recipes completely she often just gives me a new idea and certainly improves my attitude concerning "I'm bored so what's to cook" rut.

Significant Other and I don't go out to eat very often, except during summer travel back to New England, and rarely get takeout unless we are completely at a loss, for the same reason as you--not too many good choices nearby. 

He enjoys cooking as much as I do and cleans up so that is a plus.

Hope you and your husband enjoy a lovely Sunday.

Thank you @aroc3435  and  hope you and your SO are enjoying your Sunday as well!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

I just cook for myself, but do cook every day.  Air fryer is great and I use it at least 4 or 5 times a week.  Some days I just don't know what to make, but always think of something.  I have many dietary restrictions, but always come up with something.  Again, air fryer to the rescue!  Miss eating out with DH, but do the best  I can.  I've always enjoyed cooking and would rather cook something than get in the car and go pick something up.

@Daysdee  Everyday??!!!!  I truly admire you!!