Esteemed Contributor

Plain & Simple But Really Good.

Last night we didn't want fries (in freezer) or mashed potatoes with dinner.  I had gotten some red potatoes at a farm stand not far from us yesterday morning.

I scrubbed them, cut them into quarters, and boiled them until tender. After I drained them really well I tossed them in a skillet with some veggie oil, 2 good tablespoons of butter and S&P.

I slowly browned them on all sides. Golden and crisp on the outside, tender on the inside.

Holy cow,  only 3 ingredients plus S&P. They were better than any fancy umpteen ingredient potato recipe I ever made. 

Sometimes old school simple things just hit the spot.

Respected Contributor

Re: Plain & Simple But Really Good.

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Good suggestion.  I do that in the over at 425 degrees.   They come out crisp and delicious.  Sometimes I add a little garlic.

Esteemed Contributor

@nyc1  I've roasted potatoes in oven with olive oil.  Sometimes I use Montreal steak seasoning and I've done rosemary. It was still too hot to turn the oven on.

These were even better than the ones I've done in the oven, no idea why.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  You reminded me of what my mother called "raw fried potatoes"  She would slice them and cook them in a cast iron skillet on top of the stove in butter, salt, pepper until they developed a crust.  So delicious!   I would go the roasting route in the oven!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Salt, Pepper and Butter applied to anything is delicious!! I agree..simple many time is better...

Especially if it's meat cooked in a skillet over an outdoor fire!!!! Whenever I burn sticks on my property, even just a little pile to get rid of them, I make sure I have a thawed out small steak, my cast iron pan, butter, salt and pepper ready. Just set that pan in the still hot ashes from even a small stick fire,pan gets searing hot, slap in that butter and steak.... UM UM UM GOOOOD!!!!!

Nothing quite excites the appetite like the primitive smell of roasting meat and wood smoke....and a little pan sauce made from butter, salt and pepper!!!

Think I'll start a stick fire tonight!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2   And there is nothing better than homegrown taters right out of the dirt!!!!  We grow potatoes sometimes, last year we had 4 or 5 different ones. I love the smell of fresh potatores just dug from the earth - not many things are better!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Gimmee!!!!Woman Very Happy

Valued Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@nyc1  I've roasted potatoes in oven with olive oil.  Sometimes I use Montreal steak seasoning and I've done rosemary. It was still too hot to turn the oven on.

These were even better than the ones I've done in the oven, no idea why.

This is just a guess but I think it's because in an oven they dry out faster due to an enclosed area at high temp but in a pan on the stove the temp isn't as high allowing more oil to soak in as they cook. 

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD   I'm sure the fact they were right from the farm and not a plastic grocery bag was part of it.  I got some sweet corn and a couple of tomatoes too. Made a BLT with 1 of the tomatotes, it was delicious.

My Dad grew tomatoes in a small garden in our backyard. He and my uncle tried to out do each other every year.  Being in the country my in-laws had a huge garden.

Me.  Well, never had a garden in my life.  I had a ton of flower beds though.

Regular Contributor

When I am in the mood for potatoes, I will make these quite often.  I spray them with avocado oil, add seasonings and cook them in my air fryer.  They cook up really quickly that way and I don't have to heat up the kitchen.  I usually use the small red potatoes and garlic for sure, plus other seasonings.  I live in the desert and do not want to put them in a 425 degree oven in the summer.  The air fryer works great for these.  And leftovers are great reheated in a skillet and served with eggs for breakfast the next day.