Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pioneer woman measuring cup

@January121, a liquid measuring cup will not measure flour or sugar (or other dry ingredients) correctly. The liquid measuring cup measures a cup of liquid slightly below the rim so that the liquid won't slosh out. With a dry measuring cup, you want to be able to fill the cup and then use a knife (what I use) to level the dry ingredient off the top. So yes, you should use two different cups. I have a set of plastic dry measuring cups in different sizes, and use my glass pyrex measuring cup for wet ingredients. However, if you've used a liquid measuring cup for dry ingredients and it works for you, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@January121, a liquid measuring cup will not measure flour or sugar (or other dry ingredients) correctly. The liquid measuring cup measures a cup of liquid slightly below the rim so that the liquid won't slosh out. With a dry measuring cup, you want to be able to fill the cup and then use a knife (what I use) to level the dry ingredient off the top. So yes, you should use two different cups. I have a set of plastic dry measuring cups in different sizes, and use my glass pyrex measuring cup for wet ingredients. However, if you've used a liquid measuring cup for dry ingredients and it works for you, then I wouldn't worry about it.

@jannabelle1  ... THANKS !!!!!! 😊

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@January121 wrote:

I love the measuring cup!!! .... a bit off topic but I have a question ....can you use the same measuring cup for both dry and liquid ingredients? .... I have always used the same cup but just wonder if there is a difference as far as the measurements are concerned ... THANKS!!!

@January121 

Sorry to jump in.  There is no way to level off a liquid measuring cup using dry ingredients because liquid cups are a little higher to keep the user from spilling.

Too much flour can make a cake dry, tough, or make it rise improperly.  Cooking is chemistry too.

@ECBG ..... THANKS so much !!!!! 😊

Valued Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

It is interesting to see the side spouts.  Since it is for liquids, that should be handy.

I have a vintage glass one cup that belonged to my MIL. I was blessed to get it when she passed.   It has the three spouts also.  I think of her every single time I use it.  

Respected Contributor

@January121 wrote:

I love the measuring cup!!! .... a bit off topic but I have a question ....can you use the same measuring cup for both dry and liquid ingredients? .... I have always used the same cup but just wonder if there is a difference as far as the measurements are concerned ... THANKS!!!

Yes there is a difference.  Two different types of measuring cups for dry ingredients and liquid ingredients.  How would you measure flour in a cup like the one pictured in the first post here?  

Esteemed Contributor

That is a beautiful measuring cup! I have a set of her very pretty floral cutting boards, so I may as well pick up a set of these, to have a matching set.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

This cup is for liquids.  Dry measures allow you to level off with a knife.  But, both measurements are the same so in a pinch you can use the "wrong" cup.

Valued Contributor

Yes, I have this measuring cup and love it!  I was so happy to find it when I was at my local Super Walmart locally.  My biggest pet peeve with Pyrex glass measuring cups is you can't put them in the dishwasher anymore because the printed measurements eventually fade to the point where you can't read them anymore.  It's hard to find a glass measuring cup where the measurements are embossed into the glass.  I was able to find an Anchor-Hockey one-cup glass measuring cup with embossed measurements, but never a two-cupper so I was happy to find this one by the Pioneer Woman.  However, if you put this cup in the dishwasher the pretty floral pattern might eventually fade, too but, at least, the measurement themselves will stay intact.  

And for the person asking if you can use a liquid measuring cup to measure dry ingredients, no you can't.  For the best results, you really need to use a liquid measuring cup for liquid ingredients and dry measuring cups for dry ingredients.

Honored Contributor

The three spouts are interesting; I've never seen one like that.  Like a three-headed monster.  Why would more than one be needed?

Honored Contributor

My first thought would be possibly if a person is left handed ?