Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@OKPrincess wrote:

I enjoy going to the Mercantile for a nice day trip. The bakery is fun to visit too. Haven’t been to the ice cream shop yet..........

IMO Ree is a genuine lady and the wealth comes from her husband’s side of the family.

I am not trying to hijack the thread, but since you live in OK, I know that you can answer this.  I have been wanting to take a few cooking classes at The Girl Can Cook in Broken Arrow, but I would be flying into Tulsa.  How is traffic to both Broken Arrow and Pawhuska?  I might be traveling alone and wonder how traffic and also safety.  Thanks.

Sorry if anyone is annoyed about this!!!  Not trying to cause a problem.

@SXMGirl  Although I am not totally familiar with that route, I'd probably go from Tulsa to Bartlesville and then west to Pawhuska.  It should be about 1 hr. 30 min according to the map I looked at.  

Bartlesville is a town of some size, had of oil company activity there, so is not just a hole in the road (Oklahoma-wise that is! LOL!).  There is another way to get there on a smaller 2-land winding road (from looking at the map), so the way through Bartlesville would be my suggestion.

As far as safe, yes I think you would be fine, but I wouldn't want to drive it at night--that's just me!

In Tulsa, Gilcrease museum and Philbrook are both lovely places to tour.  And there is an aquarium at Jenks. Utica square used to be the place to shop--but I haven't been there in awhile.  I believe it is still a great place to look around and eat. 

Have fun if you get to make the trip.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner  Thanks so much for the info!  I had hoped to make it to one of her ranch open houses, but I will hopefully get there in the fall.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl I visited the Lodge as a kid before they owned it. It is on a bigger hill than you'd think from the tv scenes, and it is beautiful up there.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner  I meant the Lodge.  There were a number of open houses there for the past several months, but the weather, at least what I was hearing on the news, has not been great.  I don't want to travel and end up in some horrendous weather pattern.

If I take a cooking class, I will probably stay one night in Broken Arrow, and then move on to Pawhuska.  I like that she has reasonably priced accommodations, unlike the ones in Waco.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Re: Pioneer Woman

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Sooner  I meant the Lodge.  There were a number of open houses there for the past several months, but the weather, at least what I was hearing on the news, has not been great.  I don't want to travel and end up in some horrendous weather pattern.

If I take a cooking class, I will probably stay one night in Broken Arrow, and then move on to Pawhuska.  I like that she has reasonably priced accommodations, unlike the ones in Waco.

Yes, it would be fun to stay there.  The rooms look great!

You might enjoy reading a slightly boring but interesting history of Osage county from the OK Historical Society: Osage County Brief History. There is also a book about the Flower Moon Murders that happened in oil boom days. 

If you ever have time to venture farther, the Marland Mansion in Ponca City is a good tour, and Woolaroc Museum in Bartlesville is fun too. REALLY old west things there! 

Oklahoma City is a 2 hour drive from Tulsa, so you might fly in there sometime and go to the Bombing Museum, very moving and beautiful,  and/or the National and Western Heritage Museum, which has a lovely art collection.

Trusted Contributor

@Bridgegal   He's Taylor Kitsch. Played Riggins on the Friday Night Lights TV series.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Is her BBQ sauce at Walmart ?

I looked for it today just to see if there is such a thing and it's not at my walmart in  Amarillo, Tx

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE - If you search for "Pioneer Woman BBQ" on the Walmart website, you'll see some of the flavors that are offered. I'm guessing the sauce is being released in a limited fashion to see how it fares before it is available broadly for sale; there are a couple of flavors at a few stores in my state, but none very near me.

Honored Contributor

It took me a long time to like her.

I've only made 1 of her recipes and did not care for it at all.

I will say though I have learned a lot of tips and tricks from her.

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@SharkE - If you search for "Pioneer Woman BBQ" on the Walmart website, you'll see some of the flavors that are offered. I'm guessing the sauce is being released in a limited fashion to see how it fares before it is available broadly for sale; there are a couple of flavors at a few stores in my state, but none very near me.

@loriqvc @SharkE   I think Head Country (made in Ponca City OK) is THE best bbq sauce I know of.  It is not syrup-like or sweet and sticky.  It is a good sauce, not too hot, not too sweet, and spicy but not too much.  

I just can't take that sweet, overly smoky (artifically smoke) slick and sweet sauce like so many sauces today.  Head Country is especially good on a bbq chicken pizza!  topped with Cilantro!