Honored Contributor

Pioneer Woman Ceramic Potato Keeper

Does anyone have this? If so, do you like it and where do you keep it? TIA!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pioneer Woman Ceramic Potato Keeper

I do not own one, but am interested in something like that. I will check back to see the critiques of other posters.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

I don't have the PW one but at one time a had a different stoneware one. It was a nice place to keep potatoes in the pantry but it just didn't hold enough, even for just the two of us. I like to buy individual larger potatoes, not the bags of real small ones, and it would only hold a few if I wanted the lid to fit well. I think the one I had would hold one of the 5# bags of small potatoes since the small ones could nestle together better.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Does anyone have this? If so, do you like it and where do you keep it? TIA!  Smiley Happy

i have them for onions and garlic love them

I think I did have a potato one but it didn't hold enough from a 5lb bag

keep them in the pantry dark 

Honored Contributor

Walmart? Walmart online?   QVC ?

Super Contributor

@beach-mom I have the 3 pieces for potatoes, onions and garlic.  Really like them but, since we don't eat potatoes very often they sometimes go bad before we get around to using them.  My solution has been to buy a 3 lb bag, use what I need and only store the remaining potatoes in the canister.  I don't have the same issue with the onion and garlic keepers, probably because we use these items faster.

I keep my canisters on the counter top.  There is a dark corner and the air vent doesn't blow directly on the canisters.

Hope this has been helpful!

Honored Contributor

Not that it matters, but I think this item is really cute.  I have a semi- PW kitchen but we don’t eat potatoes anymore, haven’t had one in any form for the past year and a half. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much for your replies everyone! 

I found it online and thought it was something to check out. DH and I don't eat potatoes regularly, but since quarantine every once in a while he wants a baked potato. I usually get a 5 lb. bag of Idaho baking potatoes and put that bag into a brown grocery bag and into the pantry. And still they don't last!

I saw the onion one online at Walmart so I got that, but it looks like the potato one is OOS. I wasn't too keen on spending the money other sellers want - unless someone here posted, raving about it! The onion one is big enough! And at least I use a lot of onions! 

So for now I'll pass. I'll just try to use them up faster!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Any type of closed container that holds potatoes or onions, holds the gas from these vegetables as well, which in turn ultimately causes them to break down and rot.   

Potatoes and onions need to be stored in a cool area like a basement or garage, single layer on cardboard or newspaper, and never store the two near each other.   

Right now I have 100 lbs of potatoes in my garage; laid out on plastic stackable bread trays.  Potatoes are in the darkest corner, and 20 lbs of onions are laid out in the opposite, coldest corner of the garage.