Honored Contributor

Pioneer Woman - Black-eyed Pea Recipes

For those of you who purchased the PW Holiday cookbook, the 2 black-eyed pea recipes for New Years are winners.

I made the Black-eyed Pea Salsa tonight thinking it would do well to sit for a couple of days but it is so good I don't think it will make it to New Year's Eve. I only made 1/3 of the recipe so I may make another batch tomorrow night.

I also made the Hoppin' John. I have never had this so I didn't know what to expect or if it's authentiic/accurate to what is traditional Hoppin' John, but it is really good and it smells wonderful while it's cooking.

I made about 2/3 of the recipe (using one bag of Goya dried black-eyed peas) and it makes 8 cups of Hoppin' John. Glad I didn't make the whole recipe.

Happy New Year!

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: Pioneer Woman - Black-eyed Pea Recipes

My Hoppin John is smelling good. The turnip greens are cooking. All that's left is the Hot Water Corn Bread.

2 c. cornmeal
1/2 TSP Salt (optional)
2 c. boiling water
1/2 c. cooking oil

Combine cornmeal and salt in medium bowl.
Make sure water has boiled.
Pour boiling water into cornmeal mixture. Stir until soft mixture forms. If too thick add more boiling water. Scoop out with a large mixing spoon.
Place in greased skillet. Form like a pancake. Cook both sides until golden brown.
If you're feeling a little sassy, add some jalepanos and a little cheese to the cornmeal.
April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

x

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

This is the recipe I settled on. I cooked it in the crockpot and the house smells cook this morning. I hope it tastes as good as it smells.

Honored Contributor

On 12/30/2013 gkelly5744 said:
On 12/29/2013 upsidedown said:

can't find the black-eyed pea salsa recipe anywhere online....I think it might be like Texas Caviar...can you share the recipe?

From "The Pioneer Woman Cooks, A Year Of Holidays" cookbook

BLACK-EYED PEA SALSA

Makes about 3 cups

3-15 oz. cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed

3 celery stacks, finely diced

3 green onions, thinly sliced

1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced

1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely diced

1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped

1 cup chopped cilantro

salt to taste

juice of 1 lime

Tortilla chips, for serving

VARIATIONS:

1. Serve the salsa as a nice light salad

2. Spoon it on top of grilled chicken or fish.

3. Pile it inside burritos or on tacos

I use a big blob of a nice as-hot-as-you-like CHUNKY salsa rather than a jalapeño. If it is pretty watery, I will drain off some of that. I like the heat and touch of tomato. I really like some drained canned corn in it too! The crispy kind!

Super Contributor

On 1/1/2014 house cat said:

This is the recipe I settled on. I cooked it in the crockpot and the house smells cook this morning. I hope it tastes as good as it smells.

I just want to review this recipe… it was very good. I'm still not a fan of black eyed peas, but I thought it was pretty good. Mom and Dad loved it.

Honored Contributor

Mine turned out quite well also. I did a combination of the two recipes that I posted above. Used smoked turkey rather than neckbones. Used 2 Packages of frozen BEPs, 1 can Rotel w/Lime Juice and Cilantro, 1 lb Hot Italian Sausage, 4 thinly sliced boneless chicken breast cut up after cooking in the oven, and Yellow Rice. My turnip greens were served on the side. This is officially my new NYD menu.

Thank you VaBelle and everyone who posted recipes or suggestions.

Super Contributor

Honored Contributor

Tell me I'm not the only one who does this. Once I cook a new recipe, I fix it a second time adding or changing things as needed. Then I write down the ingredients, amounts, and the instructions so that I have it on hand for whenever I need it again.

I'm cooking Hoppin John now. Want some?