Respected Contributor

I was in Aldi yesterday and saw these.  I was so fascinated with them as I had never seen or heard of them.  They were a bit pricy, $4.49 for a 10 oz carton, but I just could not resist.  

Mr 4 kitties and I really like them.  Similar to a strawberry taste, but a bit different.  1620195F-1D98-4075-BA71-0952FA2A3E94.jpeg

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Very interesting---I've seen something similair where I shop--- both to eat and as plants--love the name---may have to buy the plants for this years garden !!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pineberries Anyone?

[ Edited ]

Well, thanks a lot @4kitties  You just took me down a Pineberry rabbit hole! Never heard of these and couldn't stop reading about them. Interesting post.

@wagirl According to strawberryplants dot org 

For every four plants, it is best to have one regular strawberry plant for pollination purposes. The early results indicate that the Sonata variety is the best pollinator for pineberries in general, and specifically the Natural Albino variety. 

Honored Contributor

I saw them last week at the grocery store and at first thought they were very unripe strawberries.  Didn't have them today and now I wish I had bought them.

Honored Contributor

They appear to be a cross between a pineapple and a strawberry.  They look/sound interesting but I'll be passing since they have a high carb count of 9 net carbs per serving compared to 5 net carbs for the same amount of strawberries. 

Honored Contributor

I've been wanting to try these for a long time but haven't seen them anywhere. That's so cool you found some and are enjoying them. 

Honored Contributor

Look just like a strawberry on the vine that still has to ripen.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG 

They do look like unripe berries.  I think that is what caught my attention.  But they have a very nice, sweet taste.  Nothing like an unripe berry would taste.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom ---thanks for the info--I really appreciate it--Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

It says online it's The White Strawberry that has the aroma & taste of pineapple. Also says they are very rare & most are commercially grown & destined to high end restaurants.