Respected Contributor

We always had a jar of pickled beets in the frig. I don't think mom actually canned the beets. I think she bought them in a glass jar. 

We just had them on the table like pickles. I remember them being a little sweet. Anyway, I could not find a current version in the grocery so this might be the closest thing. 

From All receipes:

1 15 oz can sliced beets drained and reserve liquid

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar1/2 cup white sugar

6 whole cloves

1 pinch salt

In sauce pan combine the liquid from the beets, vinegar, sugar,cloves cinnamon and salt. Stir to disolve and bring to boil. Simmer medium heat for 5 minutes. add the beets and simmer 5 more minutes.Transfer to jar. Pour liquid over then and cover. Refrig until serving. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Pickled beets?

[ Edited ]

I love beets.  Cloves seems to me would mask the taste of the beets.  I just pickle with oil and vinegar, salt and pepper.   Beets are sweet enough for me, i dont add sugar. You can buy pickled beets in a glass jar at any grocery store.  

Respected Contributor

We always had a jar too. Mom would just pour off have the canned beets liquid & add vinegar then into a jar. I loved them. I need to go get a can now since you mention it. I will be the only one in the house eating them.

Honored Contributor

In the summer, I stop at the farmer for fresh red beets.  I cut off the greens and boil in water until done.  Once cooled I peel off the outer skin; I slice, add a little vinegar, sugar and water.  i also add sliced onion.  Then I refrigerate.  I also buy whole baby beets (pickled) in a glass jar at the grocery store.  I never add cloves but some people do.  I love red beets especially the fresh ones from the farm.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

We always had pickled beets when I was growing up. I love them.

I can find them in all the grocery stores in my area. I buy them all the time.

Trusted Contributor

I can only find them canned. I'd prefer a jar to close when I only need a few for salads. I have seen them in jars at a food outlet store, but they don't always get them back in.

Respected Contributor

Trader Joe's has jars of pickled beets in vinaigrette, yum.

Honored Contributor

Re: Pickled beets?

[ Edited ]

Over the summer I had two cans of beets that were getting close to the date and decided to pickle them.

Oh my, so much better than buying them already pickled and so easy.

I thinly slice an onion and add that to them.

The recipe I use calls for sugar, water, vinegar and salt and pepper.  I bring it to a boil,  pour it over the beets, let them cool and put the in the fridge.

Honored Contributor

ALWAYS served with macaroni and super sharp cheddar cheese at my mom's German/Irish supper table.

Really good pickled beets may be made with sweetener alternatives, like Truvia, but they are still a high carb vegetable.

The recipe provided previously sounds super tasty, and I would be using a sugar alternative to make it if it were for myself.

Respected Contributor

I would always buy Greenwood Pickled Beets but I haven't thought of them in years.  Don't know if they are still available.

To make a version of your own pickled beets out of a can of sliced beets, I used to use 1/3 cup each of sugar, white vinear and reserved beet juice.  Heat in a saucepan with the drained sliced beets. Add a good pinch of ground cloves.  Salt if you want (I never add more).

Bring to a boil, cook for 5 minutes, then let it stand til cool.  Refrigerate and it's ready to eat.