Respected Contributor

Perfect way to hard-cook eggs

I have boiled eggs on the stove for various recipes for many years, and I wasn't willing to give up my "rules" and my method, which sometimes required  storing and not immediately cooking very fresh-from-the-store eggs because these do not  always peel easily. 

I recently needed to make a large quantity of deviled eggs and simultaneously came across the well-tested Cooks Illustrated method of putting them in a steamer insert over boiling water and steaming them  before plunging  them in ice water.  

Worked like a charm.  No dark rings,  even the freshest eggs peeled easily, and the texture was great.

Will  never boil eggs again.

You can read about the research done on this here:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/8712-easy-peel-hard-cooked-eggs

One of only two negative reviews I've ever written to QVC was  about the Mark Charles Egg Cooker (which is the DASH egg cooker by a different name). 

I ordered it, thought it was a big hassle to use correctly and keep all the  hand-washed parts clean, and couldn't use anything that required so much trial and error to get the eggs cooked to a desired hardness.

Returned it in disgust.    Stovetop steaming (of as many or few eggs as I need) is now my preferred method.  Thank you, Cook's Illustrated!

Honored Contributor

Re: Perfect way to hard-cook eggs

I have used an egg cooker for years, II first bought it when  I needed to made hard boiled eggs in the middle of the Summer and even heating the pot of water added to the heat in the kitchen

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Information blocked... wants me to sign up for something.  Did want to read but not encourage more emails.  

Honored Contributor

As long as my MCM egg cooker works for me I will use it and no reason to change methods. 

Respected Contributor

I use my Instant Pot. Easiest method ever if you have one. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu

That's odd........I didn't have any trouble getting to or copying that link.  I reached it by doing an internet search and  actually got lots of links to the same subject.

Here's another site that came up with the identical cooking instructions that were in Cook's Illustrated.

http://suziesfarm.com/recipes/easy-peel-hard-cooked-eggs

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Information blocked... wants me to sign up for something.  Did want to read but not encourage more emails.  

Same thing happened to me yesterday, I wanted to look up the recipe for their stove top 1 pot mac & cheese.

Super Contributor

Hard cooked eggs: Cover eggs in cold water, bring to boil, then turn off heat and let it sit for 13 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water & perfect eggs. No ring, no rubber texture. Martha Stewarts technique. IMO: Cook's Illustrated makes everythng harder than it hast to be. Not a fan.

Respected Contributor

Nothing stimulates a discussion better than how to boil eggs.

I don't think the Cook's Illustrated method is any harder, and is practically identical to the one you just posted.  That was also my method, but it doesn't work all that great with very fresh eggs. 

Steaming is not hard.  In fact, it's easier and is better for the eggs than having them rattle around in boiling water.  And no  shells  crack because of temperature shock or bumping round in the boiling water.

My opinion only.  I found the steaming method much better for my use.

Esteemed Contributor

How long do you steam the eggs?