Honored Contributor

The Spice House is also having a shipping special through Sunday 3/29. Free shipping over $30 using code SPRINGFEAST.

They have a great website and a huge assortment. I found their prices more reasonable!!

Honored Contributor

Topaz Gem, thank you so much that is EXACTLY the response I was hoping for and RespectLife, many thanks for the heads up on the shipping special as I didn't receive the offer. I am off to make my list with everyone's suggestions, thanks everybody!

Honored Contributor

Yes, thanks Respect. I printed out the catalog for the Spice House too. There are so many things to choose from I had to start somewhere so I placed a small order with Penzey's.

Honored Contributor

Thanks Topaz. I ground up some "old" coriander seed in my spice grinder last night & it still smelled good so hopefully its got some "spice" left to it.

I'm with you, I must have 50, 60, ??? spices - some I use all the time - some I don't. There is no way I can afford to replace them every few months.

Honored Contributor

How long do spices last?

Whole spices can last several years. Once spices are ground their volatile oils have been released and they are already beginning to dissipate. We recommend not buying a larger amount of an individual ground spice than you expect to use within a year. Old spices will not make you sick, they just won't accomplish their true purpose. A good, simple test is to smell them. If you don't get a scent, it's time to throw them away. A fun way to throw them away is to toss them on your grill when cooking. This is a way to release the last little bit of volatile oils that might still remain, and put flavor into your grilling food!

reprinted from:

thespicehouse.com

Honored Contributor

What is the best way to store my spices?

You want to get them into some kind of airtight container. Glass jars are the ideal storage container. Air, heat, and light are the enemies of fresh spices, so an airtight container in a cool, dark place like a cabinet is ideal. You can also add to the life of your spices by storing them in the refrigerator; the only problem with this is, out of sight, out of mind. The worst place to keep your spices is above the stove because the heat from the oven will destroy the essential oils in the spices.

thespicehouse.com

Honored Contributor

How do I substitute a dried herb for a fresh herb?

Generally speaking, you use one third the amount of dried as you would fresh. If your recipe calls for one cup of fresh dill, use 1/3 cup of dried. Basil is one exception, however, where you use half as much dried as you would fresh.

thespicehouse.com

Honored Contributor

Thanks Respect.

Mmmmmmm, my turmeric didn't have any "scent" to it last night. As I recall it does usually have a scent but I can't remember for sure. Brain fade today!

Honored Contributor
On 3/27/2015 ChiliPepper said:

Thanks Respect.

Mmmmmmm, my turmeric didn't have any "scent" to it last night. As I recall it does usually have a scent but I can't remember for sure. Brain fade today!

Oh boy, I don't know. I have a new turmeric at home...after work I'll try to remember to go smell it and see!

Hee, hee...didn't have to pay tax on my thespicehouse.com order!! They don't have any stores in NY so I saved another six bucks!

Honored Contributor

Sorry, I just had a good laugh. I had a vision of all the Kitchenettes running home & sniffing their spices! {#emotions_dlg.lol}