Regular Contributor

Peel Tomatoes Faster with Microwave ... in today's "food section"

Maybe this has been posted before and I missed it? Anyone done it this way?

It was in today's paper "food section".... sharing with you who may be canning and sweating it over a hot stove. I think I would have at least tried this method, if I'd known about it back then, just to see how it works.

I have never done this! I used to do a lot of canning tomatoes until we moved to this property ... which has a lot of squirrels.

Peel Tomatoes Faster with Microwave

Cooks using fresh tomatoes learn quickly that a little heat helps make it easier to peel tomatoes.
The typical method is to score the skin and place the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds to a minute.
This works great but the microwave will do the job without taking the time to heat a pot of water. Score them as usual, making an X on the bottom, then microwave on high power for about 25 seconds.
Once they are cool enough to handle, peel off the skins, starting at the X.

---Michael Hastings

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~

Let's Stay in Touch

* *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email.
Connect with Us

The scoop on everything Q, from helpful tips to interesting tidbits, questions, answers, and more.

QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites, nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. QVC's Privacy Statement does not apply to these third-party web sites.

© 1995–2016 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademark Notice

Desktop View Mobile View