Honored Contributor

Peanut butter - how can they call this Natural?

Our store has Skippy peanut butter on special this week. So I bought a few jars, including a variety called Natural Super Chunky. My girlfriend buys some sort of "natural" peanut butter for $9.00 per jar. I thought I had really found a deal at less than $2.00 per jar, but I just read the ingredients. Peanuts, sugar, palm oil, and salt. What's natural about this? I'm especially concerned about the palm oil.

Super Contributor

Re: Peanut butter - how can they call this Natural?

I guess they mean they didn't add artificial preservatives and hydrogenated fats to it? Palm oil is 'natural' even if it isn't the best ingredient. I've found that "natural" doesn't mean a whole lot when it is in big letters on the front of a label. It could have mud or dog drool in it and still be natural, LOL.

It is difficult to find peanut butter without a bunch of stuff added to it. Kroger has a natural version of their store brand that contains only peanuts and salt. The last time I checked, The Smucker's Natural peanut butter has just one ingredient - peanuts. I like that. :-)

It is a pain having to read the fine print on every single label, isn't it?

Honored Contributor

I made peanut butter in my Vitamix...it was beyond YUMMY..warm and very smooth.

I ate so much it certainly wasn't diet food!

Honored Contributor

The ingredients listed sound natural to me. Peanuts and sugar grow out of the ground. Salt comes from - the sea (?) - But I have to admit that I don't know where 'palm oil' comes from. Palm trees?

Super Contributor

Palm oil is natural, but I prefer to buy peanut butter that is just peanuts - no added salt or sugar. My issue with palm oil is that it is not good for you, it has been known to increase cholesterol levels. Plus, the palm oil purveyors are destroying animal habitats to plant palm trees for the oil.

Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2014 redtabby said:

Palm oil is natural, but I prefer to buy peanut butter that is just peanuts - no added salt or sugar. My issue with palm oil is that it is not good for you, it has been known to increase cholesterol levels. Plus, the palm oil purveyors are destroying animal habitats to plant palm trees for the oil.

Well, that's terrible. Smiley Sad Another good reason to avoid it, I say.

Valued Contributor

Seeing natural on a label doesn't mean the product is great or that it is good for you.

Dog poo could be in a product and it could be called natural.

Respected Contributor

I suppose it partially depends on your definition of "natural." If you just want it to contain peanuts, I think you'll have to make it yourself, & then you can absolutely control what goes into it.

Honored Contributor

Another use for my VitaMix, I guess. I just got all excited when I saw peanut butter was actually cheap and didn't read the label. By the way, coffee is coming down, too, I heard it is the lowest is 11 years.

Respected Contributor

On 1/16/2014 depglass said:

Another use for my VitaMix, I guess. I just got all excited when I saw peanut butter was actually cheap and didn't read the label. By the way, coffee is coming down, too, I heard it is the lowest is 11 years.

too bad we can't run our cars on coffee!