Super Contributor

Re: Peanut butter - how can they call this Natural?

I usually have 8-10+ jars in the pantry at all times. Ran out this week (tight budget recently), so went to buy more PP. The lael says "100% natural" and "no stirring needed" something like that. I didn't really read the label, just "CREAMY" what was I was looking for at the grocery.

Almost took it back, thinking it's that horrible dry-dry-dry mess. But no, it was the usual creamy item we always get. Palm oil, peanuts, salt and maybe sugar. Bottom line: I'm glad I did NOT read the label, as I'd have left it on the shelf, thinking it would be the nasty dry stuff.

Respected Contributor

Those ingredients are natural. The palm oil is to keep the natural peanut butter from separating and will make is smooth and spreadable. Other natural peanut butters need to be stirred or heated in the microwave and mixed to keep the natural oils from separating.

Respected Contributor

Laura Scudders makes a good PB which has nothing added like palm oil, sugar, etc. I think it is the best tasting one; homemade might be better though.

I've tried Trader Joes which is cheaper than Laura Scudder and also have tried Costco. Neither tastes as good as Laura Scudders.

Esteemed Contributor

I am another who loves Jiff Creamy. It is just so smooth. It may not be the most healthy choice but it is what I buy. I don't eat peanut butter all that often, maybe a couple of times a month, if that, but when I do, it's Jiff.

Esteemed Contributor

I have tried several brands of natural peanut butter & end up tossing it. It's very oily, separates and runny. I don't eat much, but enjoy a tablespoon sometimes for lunch.

Respected Contributor

We've bought "Teddy" peanut butter that is nothing but peanuts. The oil is on top and you have to stir it up (somewhat of a chore), but it is truly "all natural".

Trusted Contributor

Its healthy if you only eat a tablespoon say with an apple or on a piece of whole wheat toast. All the ingredients are healthy and natural but you can also get it with no sugar - depending on the brand.

Regular Contributor

Kirkland's(Costco) Natural Peanut Butter is just Valencia peanuts and sea salt.

Honored Contributor

I also prefer Jif creamy.....I don't eat it very often but it is the only one I like. If you are a real purist you can make peanut butter in your vitamix.