Honored Contributor
On 2/18/2015 mosky said:

You cannot live off yogurt and celery sticks,that being said...her Gooey cakes are and have been the most requested item I have ever made for my Grandchildren.That does not mean they have them day and night ,just on occasion,and I do not see anything wrong with that.I have found the people that talk about healthy eating,just might eat cookies once in a while!!

mosky, whenever this topic comes up, be it PD or the food that has a prominent place on ITKWD or whatever, the argument that there's nothing wrong with ooey-gooey, fat-laden, highly processed food once in a while is suggested.

And yes, of course that's true. I would wager that almost all of us indulge on occasion. But that's not the point -- at least, it's not my point.

My point is that this type of food is front and center in her cooking, just as it often seems to be with DV (who, btw, I like as a host). Some of us just prefer a different style. And no, that does not mean just yogurt and celery sticks (not that there's anything wrong with that). Smile

To me, everyday comfort food is fresh-tasting and bright in flavor. It doesn't rely on a Cream of Whatever soup and a pile of shredded cheese. When I hear "comfort food," though, on QVC or from purveyors like PD, I usually see some ooey-gooey casserole.

Another point is that while you and others like to say that there's nothing wrong with this kind of food on occasion, I would bet that for far too many people, it is how they cook and eat on a regular basis. That's their choice, of course, but I wonder whether a fresher, more healthful but still delicious kind of cooking wouldn't be just as appealing if it were front and center more often.

Example: I just received my copy of "The Great Big Pressure Cooker Cook Book" yesterday, So far I've been impressed with the recipes that I've seen and am looking forward to making them. But what really impressed me was the author's mission statement:

"Most of us are trying to cook fresher... we all want delectable, innovative, fake-free meals -- in minutes...we've 86'd the faux viniagrettes and bottled sauces, the cream-of-this and fat-free that.

Instead, we've used real ingredients that bring the most flavor to the meal. Sure we use canned broth and tomatoes because good-quality versions are close to what we'd make on our own.

But we skip a bottle of fat-free ranch dressing or a can of gloppy enchilada sauce and come out with better meals that take very little time.

Buy the best you can comfortably afford -- with few other ingredients listed on the label and no artificial flavorings.

Dare to go fake-free."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor
On 2/18/2015 mosky said:

You cannot live off yogurt and celery sticks,that being said...her Gooey cakes are and have been the most requested item I have ever made for my Grandchildren.That does not mean they have them day and night ,just on occasion,and I do not see anything wrong with that.I have found the people that talk about healthy eating,just might eat cookies once in a while!!

She is trying to help us out. Found the below tweet just today from Paula.

Paula Deen?<s>@</s>Paula_Deen<small class="time">2h2 hours ago</small>

By popular demand, I've lowered the sugar in my fan-favorite Gooey Butter Cake recipe:

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

beckyb - I guess that's a start. But looking at her original recipe of that concoction, it states it makes 6-8 servings, and the "lower sugar" version, states the recipe yields 16 servings. By simply cutting the serving size in half or more, will lower the cals/fat/sugar per serving.

http://www.pauladeen.com/original-gooey-butter-cake

Oh well, I'll never make this. Hope those that do, enjoy.

Trusted Contributor

I have never been a big fan of Ms. Deen (my tastes run more to Ina Garten), but I did watch her in the very beginning on the Food Network. As she became more popular, she started with the exaggerated Southern accent. And on Paula's Party, there were a few times when she acted downright vulgar.

My kids gave me a 3-volume set of her cookbooks one year for my birthday. I sat down with the books and checked them out. To this day, I've not made any of her recipes; they just don't appeal to me and I don't think they're remotely related to true Southern cooking.

With everything she had been through, one would have thought that she would realize how ridiculous she had become. However, the last straw for me was seeing the picture of her sitting astride Robert Irvine and riding him. That was disgusting. And that was it. I was finished. How many chances does a person need to realize that she's became a parody of herself?

To those who enjoy her, that's fine. But I'm not interested in the slightest. She had her second chance....and she blew that, too.

Super Contributor

Oh whoop...

Valued Contributor
On 2/18/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 2/18/2015 mosky said:

mosky, whenever this topic comes up, be it PD or the food that has a prominent place on ITKWD or whatever, the argument that there's nothing wrong with ooey-gooey, fat-laden, highly processed food once in a while is suggested.

And yes, of course that's true. I would wager that almost all of us indulge on occasion. But that's not the point -- at least, it's not my point.

My point is that this type of food is front and center in her cooking, just as it often seems to be with DV (who, btw, I like as a host). Some of us just prefer a different style. And no, that does not mean just yogurt and celery sticks (not that there's anything wrong with that). Smile

To me, everyday comfort food is fresh-tasting and bright in flavor. It doesn't rely on a Cream of Whatever soup and a pile of shredded cheese. When I hear "comfort food," though, on QVC or from purveyors like PD, I usually see some ooey-gooey casserole.

Another point is that while you and others like to say that there's nothing wrong with this kind of food on occasion, I would bet that for far too many people, it is how they cook and eat on a regular basis. That's their choice, of course, but I wonder whether a fresher, more healthful but still delicious kind of cooking wouldn't be just as appealing if it were front and center more often.

Example: I just received my copy of "The Great Big Pressure Cooker Cook Book" yesterday, So far I've been impressed with the recipes that I've seen and am looking forward to making them. But what really impressed me was the author's mission statement:

"Most of us are trying to cook fresher... we all want delectable, innovative, fake-free meals -- in minutes...we've 86'd the faux viniagrettes and bottled sauces, the cream-of-this and fat-free that.

Instead, we've used real ingredients that bring the most flavor to the meal. Sure we use canned broth and tomatoes because good-quality versions are close to what we'd make on our own.

But we skip a bottle of fat-free ranch dressing or a can of gloppy enchilada sauce and come out with better meals that take very little time.

Buy the best you can comfortably afford -- with few other ingredients listed on the label and no artificial flavorings.

Dare to go fake-free."

suzyQ3,

Is this the book you are referring to?

The Great Big Pressure Cooker Book: 500 Easy Recipes for Every Machine, Both Stovetop and Electric by Bruce Weinstein, Mark Scarbrough

Respected Contributor
On 2/18/2015 PamelaSue72 said:

I have never been a big fan of Ms. Deen (my tastes run more to Ina Garten), but I did watch her in the very beginning on the Food Network. As she became more popular, she started with the exaggerated Southern accent. And on Paula's Party, there were a few times when she acted downright vulgar.

My kids gave me a 3-volume set of her cookbooks one year for my birthday. I sat down with the books and checked them out. To this day, I've not made any of her recipes; they just don't appeal to me and I don't think they're remotely related to true Southern cooking.

With everything she had been through, one would have thought that she would realize how ridiculous she had become. However, the last straw for me was seeing the picture of her sitting astride Robert Irvine and riding him. That was disgusting. And that was it. I was finished. How many chances does a person need to realize that she's became a parody of herself?

To those who enjoy her, that's fine. But I'm not interested in the slightest. She had her second chance....and she blew that, too.

This pretty much sums it up for me also. My lack of enthusiasm for her return has nothing to do with her past mistakes.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Was never a fan of PD or her food and I agree she deserves a second chance, but I think Evine made a big mistake taking her on. I feel sorry for her children who had to go through that whole thing.

Honored Contributor
On 2/18/2015 CaliKat said:
On 2/18/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 2/18/2015 mosky said:

Dare to go fake-free."

suzyQ3,

Is this the book you are referring to?

The Great Big Pressure Cooker Book: 500 Easy Recipes for Every Machine, Both Stovetop and Electric by Bruce Weinstein, Mark Scarbrough

Yup. I just shortened the title so that my post wouldn't be too long. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor
On 2/17/2015 Kachina624 said: Yeah, she's going to peddle a line of dog food. Those customers tend to complain less, don't mind being called "mutt" and like food loaded with butter and other fats. She's finally found her niche.

Sitting here thinking...what the heck does PD know about dog food? Same for Rachael Ray, for that matter.